Reno Chris

Small Trommels - 1 Yard Per Hour

58 posts in this topic

I am looking for a 1 yard per hour trommel - something you could hand shovel into. I am not looking for a high banker, I need a rotating trommel and one built to last and get used for a long time.

Anyone out there make or have experience with such a thing?

Chris

dredgernaut likes this

Chris - Try this for a starter. 

http://summitmining.com

Look under - GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT.

Select - PRO GOLD TROMMEL.

So don't keep us all in suspense. Where were you in West Africa ? My money is still on Mali or Burkina Faso. Look forward to your updates.

Hi Chris I have a friend that has had a trommel for a long time and i could not find one so this winter while it was slow i built one. Due to the high cost for the reverse helix i build a couple to offset the cost. I dont know how much it runs in an hour but i put two 2.5 gal bucket in about 3 min. No problem whith rocks to 2 or 3" i wash of the larger ones and toss them to the side. I set the angle to get aprox. 3/16 concetrates then use the hose to wash it through a clasifier. It get gold I have to use the blue bowl to get. It weighs 55lbs, 45 with the motor taken of no tools needed so it is easy to get to remote places. It is a reverse helix and i run it on a 1" water pump at idle can run it all day on a tank of gas. my friend has had his for about 15 years and still going strong. Several times we have paned the tail pile and have yet to fing even black sand. first time on the forum but if you can tell me how attach pictures or send me an email adress i can send you picks. I am asking $1400.00 for them but will take things in trade. Need new coil for the 4500, one of those gold screamer batt packs and i have a couple of specifc guns i have been looking for. Anyway this may be the trommel for you. I could ship it or just to meet ya i may bring it up to ya so you could test it out for gas or some lessons on using my 4500. havent used it that much althougt the first and only nugget i ever found was 55.5 grams

Matt

Chris...Steve beat me to it, Summit Mining here is Boise has both a 10" and 14" trommel in their product line-up.  I have one of their highbankers and they are an exceptional value and a good bunch of guys too boot!

JR

It's not a trommel, but I have had my little wash plant (Goldfield Prospector) for over fifteen years. The prospector is heavy duty and very reliable. The shaker screen is powered via a high pressure jet of water turning a water turbine attached to a shaft whith an offset weight. The speed of the screen is adjustable via a ball valve and it can really humm. The unit has really nice brass spray nozzles that emmit high pressure fans of water that do a very good job of washing material and emulsifing clay. The screen can be had in different sizes, mine is 1/4", the over size from the screen passes over a grizzly and 3/4- is run thru a small nugget trap sluice. The main sluice box is flared from 9" too 12" and is around 4' long.

I sent Goldfield International a thank you email whith a picture of my unit, telling them I was very happy whith the long term durability of the prospector. The picture was featured in the goldfield add on page 59 of the August 2012 issue of ICMJ. What a pleasant surprise it was to see my machine in that issue.

post-13306-0-37925200-1369412587_thumb.jpg

First this is not an item for me, I was looking for a friend. I know that some folks like the reverse helix design but I don't care for it at all.

Steve - I did not know goldclaimer made a version like that without the water trough underneath that is found in the standard model of that size. We will chat soon about this whole thing.

They've made'm for years that style,ever with autoauger for cobble removal and conveyer feeds also.. I was a dealer and sold quite a few. Daughter took over the company and kept it alive when Popz passed but great wheel design and built industrial tough with great UV protection. Feed in screen needs constant attention though,mods easily help-John

I like that Summit trommel and the Goldclaimer trommel. One thing to think about when you are shoveling-in, is if the motor is mounted on the trommel you might get some exaust fumes while working. I believe there are some water powered trommels.

The Summit trommel and the Gold claimer one Steve posted both look good.

John - What about the Feed in screen causes problems?

Flat metal grid and you spend quite a bit a time pickn' and a chuckn' rocks/boulders. If angled back and cut away ,think more like a highbanker you'd get quite a bit more through them. Had one for quite a few years and Ol' Ivan D made a goodn' fer sure. Fed with a 1 1/2 cu.ft.mini backhoe and constantly working that screen by hand as one man op-John

You know I look at the gold claimer and the thing has a limited number of 3/8th inch holes. Has anyone who used one of these had issues with small material coming through the end and failing to fall into the holes? It just seems like there are so few and if a rock gets in and plugs the hole - it would just be easy to blind up the screening section with so few holes.

One of the problems I'm seeing on a lot of the newer small trommels is that they are starting the screening right away instead of an area to wash before screening. I'm in an area with quite a bit of clay and hardpack and the material doesn't get clean before dropping through the screen. Unless you have material that cleans easily it defeats the purpose of the trommel in my opinion.

The African model doesn't have the auger/water tank, the goldclaimer does. The beauty of the goldclaimer is you could take it way up on a bench and run it with no water source around! Not sure for how long before you run out of water but just put a 100gal. plastic water tank in the back of your 6wheeler for extra. In Alaska you still would need apma permits because of the machinery( if loading with excavator) but wouldn't have to deal with settling ponds at every test pit and pumping water to it!! I definitely would drill way more holes in the drum. You would have less plug ups in the holes if you chamfer(taper) them from the outside just slightly. Take a look at a piece of punchplate very closely, the holes are slightly bigger on one side than the other.

My dad and i build our trommels. It is very fun if you have the time and are good with your hands. Usually we build our own drums with exspanded metal, but i recently found a website that has pre-built drums for really cheap. I am building another one now and i think that is the rout ill go. Pretty cool design.

My dad and i build our trommels. It is very fun if you have the time and are good with your hands. Usually we build our own drums with exspanded metal, but i recently found a website that has pre-built brums for really cheap. I am building another one now and i think that is the rout ill go. Pretty cool design.

Sounds great.  Care to share the website???? ;-)

Sure, it is casluicebox.com. Haha i have no affiliation with them. I agree with one of the comments up above about not having enough time in the drum to wash. That is one thing i might have a problem with if i buy this drum. BUT they will build anything you want if you ask them. The prices are awesome for they are offering. I will try them out and if i have to i will modify it for what i want. I am going with their 10" x 36" drum. $150 bucks is a good price for the materials they use.