Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Mcpherson

Using A Trommel

15 posts in this topic

My wife and I have been prospecting and mining since I retired 3 years ago and love it. I have two sluice boxes, 6 pans, a metal detector, a blue bowl and now have a small trommel. This is not an advertisment for my trommel. I'm just passing on what I have learned. A good friend of mine called me earlyer this summer and said that he finished building a trommel and asked me if I wanted to go to our favorite spot and try it out. We packed it in and set it up. At first I was not sold on it, because I didn't understand it. When he explained it to me and we set it up I was very impressed. Of course I had to test the overburden for myself. What I found was when I ran 2ea 5 gal. buckets and found good color in the business end and only a flour speck of gold and very little black sand in the overburden,  I was sold and have bought one from him and have been having great success with it. It's light weight and only uses one small pump to do it all. I live in California and follow the same guide lines as a person would use with a power sluice. Like I said this is not an advertisement, no names, addressess, just some information as to what I have found and to let fellow miners know that there is a system out there that will make there lifes easier and help them find more gold. If this sounds good to you look for the following. Find one that is light weight, less than 65 pounds, only uses one motor (no batteries to carry), is fast (one 5 gal. bucket in 1 1/2 minutes and has the ability to recover gold with very little loss. Happy hunting. PS hope the extreamest don't see this as I'm sure they will find someway to stop it. Do I sound bitter?  

Sounds like a good outfit. I would love to see a picture. Have you thought about hooking a suction nozzle up to it? I built a 4" highbanker with a Hydro Force nozzle for using as a testing machine. It works great and the sluice design catches the fine gold very well, but the grizzly for the thing ended up weighing over a 100#s and I have to pump up to it 5 feet. I have been thinking about a small trommel instead of the grizzly. This would reduce the height I would have to pump my material and also allow me to size down to 1/4" instead of 3/4".  The problem may be that with the 4" nozzle and a 3"x2" pump off of my 5" dredge I go thru a 5 gallon bucket of material in maybe 30 seconds. Is that going to be to much for the trommel to handle?

Alaska range miner. Will try to post a pic soon. I don't think it would work with a dredge feed. I slowed my feed to a 5 gal bucket in 2 minutes and got more gold, but maybe the reason for more gold was better material. It's hard to judge unless you do a better control. The place we are working now gave us a 1 1/2 CWT with about 19 buckets. That isn't much, but we just dug the material, ran it through the trammel, sluiced it and panned it out. It was quick and easy. A person can set up a sluice under the trommel and save a step, but would need to divert more water to the sluice, that would save a step   I'm 65 years old so I'm a little slow at digging, but my wife and I are having fun, so it's all great. 

1 1/2 CWT???

Is that really what you mean? I think not... Maybe pennywt.

"CWT means hundredweight. It is a United States unit of weight equivalent to 100 pounds"

That is 2.333 grams per approximately 1/2 cubic yard = 4.666 grams per one cubic yard. :)

That's excellent ground! So, at 0.15 troy ounces per cubic yard, you have $210 per cubic yard at $1400 gold.

I used to use 20 buckets for a 1/2 cubic yard sample. Now, I use a Bobcat "heaping bucket" for sampling. I consider your sample to be a good high grade sample and certainly would encourage further sampling!

Good luck!

- Geowizard

I also own a four inch dredge that I built from scratch including the power jet, the only problem that I have Is getting the dredge itself to the river it is alot heavier than my two high bankers and a lot more bulk to hurk around , one thing I have noticed a number of other dredgers are losing very small gold with there dredges and my high banker captures it, this is flour gold, some of the guys I talked to thought slowing down there dredge motor when running to capture more flour gold might work, I made a suggestion of using miners moss, I have it in all of my equipment including my small sluices and it works better than anything I have ever used, another idea that I came up with would be to put the dredge on the bank instead of floating it and still dredge in the river, I can set up the dredge for correct angle and level it for correct flour gold recovery! anyone else have any good idea's?

Used miners moss for years. Went back to carpet and gold recovery went back up. Miners moss will lock up if the water flow is interrupted and unless you have matting or something under it the gold will migrate out under the moss. I have to give credit to Hoser John for opening my eyes to the material locking up, and then I had to see it for myself through experimentation. Dredge on bank equals a pile of rocks at end of sluice. Floating moves the dredge with the hole as you proceed. If you get the dredge set up right and you dredge right you'll catch the fine gold.

I've been looking more into gold trommels lately and the biggest conclusion I'm coming to is that while yes, you can build your own and yes, they may work just fine for YOUR needs... it's just that. Nobody's able to build something that works as well as a finished product unfortunately. :/

"Nobody's able to build something that works as well as a finished product"

That doesn't make much sense.... are you saying a finished produce is something that you can buy?   How does that make it better?

One that works for YOUR needs is what anyone would want.  I've never seen(yet)  a manufactured product that didn't need to be modified somewhat to fit YOUR needs.