• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Garry

Garry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

I have a gold lease in the flinders ranges in south Australia and while dozing the top gypseous clay off to put through the dryblower came across a reef. this area was worked in the 1930's by dryshaking the top dirt. some shafts were sunk to a depth  of 6-8 feet where pockets

of gold were found.the gold appears to be elluvial with most pieces being rough and hackly. the larger nuggets I have found are crystalline.the reef is 4 feet wide with near vertical sides exposed to a depth of  approx. 4 feet.the cap of  the reef  when broken off  is a brecciated quartz and magnetite stone. the sides of the reef show a red and yellow clay out from the reef for about eighteen inches then turns to a dark green clay that when panned shows nodules of magnetite. so far have located two more reefs running parallel to the first one,each about 20-30 feet apart with dark green clay separating the reefs.this area differs from the rest of the lease as it appears to be a basin because the basalt type bedrock doesn't appear at the usual 4-6 feet. the lease is located on a diorite intrusion, could this be the source of the gold and are the reefs worth following along  on the chance of finding pockets of gold.as it would be a costly exercise to have

a geologist to have a look at the area was hoping you could give me some advice on what I should do.

cheers Garry

#2 Geowizard

Geowizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationArizona (winter) Alaska (summer)

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

Garry,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your reef sounds very interesting.

The first important clue is you are in an area that has gold mineralization. The second important clue is that you have a "structure" that has magnetite and probably other mineralization. A geologist can confirm what you probably already know.

My advice is to get a tub of water that you can use for panning. Collect samples, crush the samples and pan the samples to obtain the gold.

A small dry-washer can be used for sampling if you prefer.

If you are careful - take notes and map out the areas that show higher values, you will learn more about the structure(s) and the gold deposit. The amount of gold will vary with depth. The amount of gold will vary around the perimeter based on the structure and how the structure controlled the deposition of the gold.

Good luck. Please keep us posted!

- Geowizard

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!", Dr. Seuss

#3 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

. My take on your post is that you are wanting to locate the main source,  or the  ore body. In the thread on 3d imaging  in this forum, Geo outlined for me a simple technique for finding ore bodies on your own without very much capital outlay at all. Good luck and God Bless----K Rose 

#4 Reno Chris

Reno Chris

ICMJ Associate Editor

• Administrators
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Honestly, if you are getting some coarse gold by dry blowing, and you could see which direction the reefs are taking by peeking in the holes that the old-timers dug, yup you take a metal detector and run along the outcrops and just below them to check for gold in the soil. If you hit a patch of decent nuggets you want to dig down on the reef in that spot and see if you can't uncover a pocket. I know a gent who did just exactly that in WA and got
something like 50 or 60 ounces of gold.

Reno Chris

"So I learned then, once for all, that gold in its native state is but dull, unornamental stuff, and that only low-born metals excite admiration with an ostentatious glitter. However, like the rest of the world, I still go on underrating men of gold and glorifying men of mica. Commonplace human nature cannot rise above that." -- Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users