Chuck

Limestone Gold Relationship

5 posts in this topic

:huh:  In a recent ICMJ journal I read there is a relationship between limestone and gold. I've looked at several sites trying to define the limestone gold relationship and have not found any information. So, what is the limestone and gold relationship and since all my prospecting is in the Mojave Desert should I care? 

Chuck,

Although I'm not sure what you mean by "relationship". I can say there is no relationship.

Limestone is formed from oceanic sediments in the form of calcium rich shell fish and other calcium rich animals. They are deposited in layers and are compacted over a long period of time creating limestone. Gold is a metal. It is formed deep in the earth and usually is found in intrusive, hydrothermal veins. Gold may be disseminated in large bodies of rock. The rock might have any number of possible origins. Gold is also found in volcanogenic massive sulfide deposits.

The "association" of gold with limestone can be a matter of gold in solution, venting through fractures in limestone. Since limestone is "basic" in a chemical sense, sulfide solutions that are acidic will under certain conditions dissolve limestone and form massive sulfide deposits that may include gold.

There are many different resources on the geology of the Mojave desert. Gold may be associated with all different forms of rock. Gold may occur along limestone-quartz contacts. The only way to know is to prospect!

Welcome to the forum! :)

- Geowizard   

Thanks for your response I appreciate it.

The story I referred to in my initial posting said "Limestone is known to have an affinity for gold", the but part was gold maybe micro size. Last June 2013 while researching for desert gold clues I came across any number of clues to look for, but nothing about limestone until I seen in the ICMJ's Journal. So I went back to look some more and still found nothing about this limestone affinity for gold. So I had to ask about it.

Thanks

Cheers Beers, & Gold

Chuck

:)

Chuck,

Do a search for "Models and Exploration Methods for Major Gold Deposit Types" + "Paper 48" Author Robert F. Brommecker et al

It shows illustrations and examples of Reduced Intrusion Related Gold deposits hosted in limestone.

- Geowizard

Au+ likes this

Chuck,

There is also a set of 7-8 videos on you tube entitled Ore Geology 101 (by Andrew Jackson) .  Helpful and gives some examples of how sedimentary units (such as limestone) are altered and intruded upon.

Tad 

Au+ likes this