Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manVSgold

Detector Purchase A Must.

24 posts in this topic

Howdy folks!

After my previous bout and serious loss to a Whites GM2,Im currently just a few weeks shy,again, of a very important and scary(for me)purchase.The good old "whats the best detector for everything, ever?"question has fallen on me.After gruesome amounts of research,countless nights spent reading my eyes bloody and days spent listening to anyone who would give an opinion,I think Ive finally come to a decision.1 thing Ive found over and over in my research, is that the goldbug2 seems to be an all around great gold detecting unit.Though it may have its limitations in certain areas,people who own goldbugs really enjoy them and aren't shy to vouch for their effectiveness. Aside from that,they have been proven time and time again to be an excellent piece of equipment to add to any mining arsenal.

On the other hand,in all this certainty about the proven goldbug2, lies a concern (and the source of all my lifes worries),the very thing that handed me my previous nasty "whoopin". The stinking,the oh so dreaded, hot rock.

Now I'm not one to complain but a good day with the ol GM2 held hot rocks every few steps.(Which is not the GM's Fault)but day after day,every few steps.I got very discouraged but kept at it.Finally,a while down the road, with nothing but more of the same going on,I let the GM2 go. I still fill like less a man for it too.

So now Ive arrived at my decision and here I am looking forward to purchasing a detector that is not the best at hot rock discrimination.I just cant,at this time afford anything in the realm of a gpx, which I know would do me great in these highly mineralized soils and hot rock concentrations.But with a budget of less than a grand,the goldbug2 just seems to be a sturdy champ for the price.A no lose machine.

These days Im feeling, and really always have felt, with the necessary dedication,detecting for gold is a very viable way to gain not only gold but valuable information about areas and the way gold works within them.I really really enjoy detecting and always find myself craving a trip out to look for and dig, anything I can.Ive realized that I just have to buckle down and put the time in to learn this thing inside out. Quit being in such a hurry and take my time to learn right.Take the time to really really learn the tones, as any successful detectorist has.Ive also found some common sense somewhere and decided to maybe move to a location not so infested with hot rocks and try my hand in a easier to learn,less mineralized area.I have acquired some good ground in a very different part of Alaska and I'll be mining it this season.Cant wait to get a detector on it.

I will post my results as well as video of the hunt ,issues I may be having as well as soil conditions as the mining season gets underway.I wrote this in hopes that it may help someone,somehow,sometime.I would also like to thank you all for your contributions to the abundance and wealth of information I was able to dive into.Information that for the most part was very educated,honest and real. :)

post-14621-0-53941700-1397120177_thumb.jpg

You know, some hot rocks you can ID with the GB2 with a flip of the "iron ID" switch. Others you cannot.

If you are in an area that you have a hot rock "every few feet" and the GB2 will not ID them, I'd be looking at another detector even if it cost a little more.

I've used GB2's every since they came out(for several years, 5 days a week) and will always use one. I recently bought the AXT and was surprised how quite a PI runs. NO ground! Can't wait until the warranty runs out so I can trim the weight off.

Many years ago(and I lost it with a computer crash) Steve H. offered a little trick for checking hot areas. As I remember, you were to turn the threshold up all the way. I tried it in one hot area and didn't find anything. I think it was lack gold though.

Maybe Steve can clarify this....

manVSgold likes this

I have used most of them myself. Some more than others, but i still fall back to the Gb2. I have just had such great luck with it. I also run a GP extreme for my PI detector. I really do love both of them. The extreme isnt quite up to par with the new PI's, BUT with todays coil technologies, it is great. The Gb2 is my personal favorite though. Good luck on your search.

manVSgold likes this

My Gold Bug 2 is one of my favorite all time detectors. That said, some place you just need a PI detector. If the area is bad run the GB2 in disc mode and if that does not shut it up then a PI may be the only solution. If I had to have a PI on a budget I would be looking for a used Whites TDI SL for under $1000

manVSgold likes this

I was pinned against sort of this same thing today, I knew I wanted a Fisher Gold Bug,, But 2 or Pro was my question...

I liked the power and the price for the Gold Bug 2, but I found it to be more advanced than I wanted for my first quality detector. I am a novice in every since of the word and I felt I would spend more time fidgeting with the knobs and doing a lot more guesswork than actually metal detecting. So I decided that even though this may be the better machine for finding small nuggets at larger depths, this was not the detector for me.

So I decided on the Gold Bug Pro, which ended up coming with 2 coils, the 5" and 5" x 10" ... I liked the ability to identify the signals and depths visually VS no Display at all on the Gold Bug 2 :(

Being a Noob, I think I made the right choice...lol

manVSgold likes this

Well we made it back from another season of mining and this year some fishing as well. As far as metal detectors go, we somehow ended up with a Garrett ATX PI(wink). Way over budget but it showed up none the less. We did get some time to use it but not enough time to figure it out just yet. Kinda bummed about the display being so....so.....non digital? Hahaha, i somehow fell like i missing out on something. We did do some prospecting with it though and did come away with a bit of gold. We dug a 5' deep hole to then have it start reading iron,the last foot or so from the object. So that was pretty disappointing. But with the depth of the hole and the way the detector was acting,I kinda knew in my heart it would be junk. But i dug it anyhow. Did pull some gold off some bedrock walls with it. Just scanned somebedrock walls and found there was gold in the cracks. That was great haha! 

All in all I have no real feeling about the ATX thus far. We are to new with it to really know its abilities and the gold we did get was on bedrock, so there was no real depth challenge. But hey, I hadnt found a lick of gold with a metal detector before the ATX. So with that in mind,so far so good :) Got some video coming along when I get around to it. Thanks guys and gals!

My Gold Bug 2 is one of my favorite all time detectors. That said, some place you just need a PI detector. If the area is bad run the GB2 in disc mode and if that does not shut it up then a PI may be the only solution. If I had to have a PI on a budget I would be looking for a used Whites TDI SL for under $1000

Steve,

I have an original model Whites TDI (not the Pro or SL) and I like it even though it's no longer a spring chicken, but...I was surprised and disappointed at the performance on small nuggets. I can't put a grain or gram number on the smallest nugget it will detect, but it's relatively large.  It does work fine on larger deeper nuggets and (of course!) bullets.   I have a smaller 8 inch coil and it doesn't seem to help at all with detecting smaller nuggets, all it does is let me get closer to rocks and brush.  I've been missing a lot of gold, even though it is small gold and I'm looking for another detector for small gold.

For small gold, I've been wondering how the SDC 2030 stacks up against the Nokta Fors Gold?  Of course they're different technologies but I'm thinking that the Nokta will hold its own, given fairly mineralized but not heavily mineralized ground.   Plus, as you've noted, provide a reasonably good level of discrimination and optional coils.  And the price difference is definitely a consideration.

I know I'm just delaying my purchase by asking questions and I've pretty much made up my mind to go for the Nokta, just trying to get up the gumption to make the phone call.

Thanks,

Bob

The SDC 2300 will do smaller gold and smaller gold deeper than the Nokta in mineralized ground or not. This summer I got several pieces of gold weighing 0.03 grams. However the SDC has no discrimination, so in trashy areas, the Nokta will do much better as the SDC has no discrimination function.

Here is Steve's review of the Nokta:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/352-detailed-review-of-the-nokta-fors-gold-nugget-detector/

Chris is being a bit definitive about the small gold capabilities of the Nokta given that I do not know that anybody has determined yet how small the gold is that it will detect with its small coil.

Despite what Geowizard indicates battery size has nothing to do with power in VLF detectors. It does have a bearing in pulse induction detectors so far but that limitation also is being overcome with more modern detectors. The Nokta is in my opinion one of the deepest penetrating VLF nugget detectors currently available. Other well regarded VLF detectors like the Fisher F75 and Teknetics T2 also use four AA batteries. In cases where more batteries are used, it usually provides more battery life, not more depth.

Still, I agree with Chris in that small gold performance is a complex mix of gold size and ground conditions. The Nokta with small coil will likely air test better on small gold than the SDC 2300. But once you put the gold in the ground mineralization begins to rapidly work against a VLF. It does not take too much at all for the SDC to overcome any advantage a VLF may have. The Gold Bug 2 will clearly hit smaller gold than a SDC 2300 in low mineral ground, but as mineralization increases there is a crossover point where the SDC outperforms the Gold Bug 2. The SDC 2300 has largely negated any advantage VLF detectors have had on small gold except for that remaining in low mineral locations.

The REAL reason to choose one over the other is cost. The Nokta costs far less. The price difference for the SDC 2300 can only be made up by finding gold with it. So you have to be realistic about your detecting ability. If a person will never do more than find a few small nuggets may as well do that for under a grand. The other aspect of course is discrimination. If digging everything is a problem trading power for discrimination capability can be a reasonable choice, but it is very dependent on location and personal tolerance for digging junk.

Given you already have a PI it seems reasonable to think trash is not your big problem. You are happy with the TDI except for its small gold capability. If that is the case, the obvious step up is the SDC 2300. It solves the stated issue you have with the TDI. I can't say enough good things about the SDC 2300. My own TDI will be going up for sale soon.

From the spec's, the Nokta Fors Gold is an Induction Balance detector. Induction Balance represents the least sensitive, lowest cost form of detection technology.

A second factor I look at is the power pack. The power pack (4 x AA batteries) offers a clue to the transmitter power. It's a low power, shallow penetration, induction balance detector. 

- Geowizard

Geowizard,  I expressed the same opinion about the Nokta 4AA batteries in another thread.  It seems that several other very good and reasonably powerful detectors also use 4 AA batteries and that battery power is more important in PI detectors.  I looked for a battery discussion in "Inside the Metal Detector" but didn't find much.

-Bob

The SDC 2300 will do smaller gold and smaller gold deeper than the Nokta in mineralized ground or not. This summer I got several pieces of gold weighing 0.03 grams. However the SDC has no discrimination, so in trashy areas, the Nokta will do much better as the SDC has no discrimination function.

Here is Steve's review of the Nokta:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/352-detailed-review-of-the-nokta-fors-gold-nugget-detector/

Chris, thanks.  I've read Steve's review, that's what got me thinking of buying a Nokta vs an SDC-2300 in the first place.   The price difference between the Nokta and the SDC is a big factor at this point.  In addition to my TDI and a Tesoro Compadre loaner, my only other detector is a 1997 White's Spectrum XLT and I think I need an updated VLF detector.  It keeps coming back to I need to buy the Nokta and SDC!

- Bob

How do you guys feel about the ATX display? Or better put,how do you feel about a digital display Vs. a more (analog?) style display like the ATX has? Do you guys just feel more comfortable with a display that shows all the various things it could be, as well as at what depth it might be found? Some of you old timers are sure to eat me up on this 1. But I used a 350 for a while this summer just because it was the only thing around and I enjoyed using it. Didnt find #&*(^% but it was kind of a fun detector! haha 

Geowizard likes this

Just wondering if there is a better battery for cold weather detecting ? And how do the rechargeable batteries hold up ?

Most batteries are good to abound freezing. You may need special stuff for super cold conditions..

In most cases the rechargeable types work very well.

To bad you were not looking for the FIsher GoldStrike it was meant to replace the Goldbug2 but never caught on because of the weird tone system , it hits hotrocks and you know it is a hot rock by the dual tone setup of the detector and can reject that target as a bad one , I have had a lot of experience with mine and still really like it , but not everyone does , it is one hot little detector . As far as detectors go it is a pretty unlikable unit , so you can pickup a used one fairly cheap if you want to learn how to us it .. Just another great choice for a Gold detector !! :huh:

I left my dollar store batteries in my Timeranger out in my rig in 3-5 degree weather for almost two weeks and started the machine up they are still fully charged after a month . The weather does seem to effect some batteries more than others , it is just amazing how well a cheap battery has held up under adverse conditions !!

I used a couple of dollar store batteries in my Timeranger and left it in my vehicle in -3-5 degree weather and they stayed charged after two weeks and I took the machine out and used it for a couple hours an then returned it to the house , a month later they are still in full charge mode when I used it today ...Some batteries just hold up better than others ... :D