Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Underburden

Blind Bedrock Profiling

6 posts in this topic

Blind Bedrock Profiling

I have a large bench next to the creek on one of my claims. Digging with a shovel to determine depth to bedrock was way too time consuming and hard on an old man's back. This year, I'll be 'Probing' for bedrock depth. This bench was made up of a foot of sod, then two feet of clay/mud and finally, when the hole was less than a foot in diameter, rusted river gravel...and still no bedrock.

This is what I'll be using this summer. Simple steel fence post with the bottom blade cut off and the tip cut at a gentle angle. The horsepower to drive the post will be my trusty fence post pounder.

01+bedrock+probe.jpg

This illustration will help explain my plan.

Bob

01+bedrock+profile.jpg

That may work on your claim, wouldn't work for me because of large boulders. And yes that third probe could be a crevice with gold.

We all should have a back hoe, good luck

Bob,

Before you get the physical exercise,see if you can find someone with a White's GMT with preferably the Sierra Max coil and run that around your claim taking measurements of the black sand.  It'a a poor mans Proton Magnetometer but I have used mine over the years with dead on accuracy.  I do own a Geonics Proton Mag. but only use it when I'm looking at depths far deeper to 200 ft. or so.  The GMT,the New Fisher Gold Bug Pro (MUCH more sensitive than the GMT)or the Teknetics T2 will all do the job.

Here's another piece of advice, in the summer look for ant hills and take the dirt off the top and have send it in to an assayer or if you can't afford that there are inexpensive test kits out there that you can do the job yourself (look at some of the prospecting supply stores listed in the ICMJ advertisers index like Keene or whomever).

Hope this helps and save you back and shoulders man.  They're a diminishing resource as we get older.  I know and have the surgery scars to prove it ;) .

Randy Seden-Desert Rat in good standing. 

If you've access to water a power washer with a long wand is waaaaaaayyyyyy faster and much less back breaking. A T-handled probing rod might work well in some situations as as well.

I'm thinking of using that fence post idea on some of the pediments that offshoot a known or potential gold bearing hill or mountaintop. What I've found in riding through these areas, is they are not so boulder or rock strewn and are more decomposed and brecciated, thus making it easier to drive a nice long pointed steel rod into the ground. Ideally it would be nice to be able to drive a rod a few feet down on to the basement or bed rock as a pre-test for bringing in an auger to do some sampling. Talk about the potential for a honey hole… imagine millions of years of gold bearing brecciated rock that might have settled 6 feet down into a 100x100 ft. depression, whilst all the fluff and float got carried away by gravity and rushing water. Those are what dream patches are made of.  B)