Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harry Lipke

Plans For "roller Crusher"

6 posts in this topic

Anyone know of plans for a small roller crusher?

I want something to follow a Chipmunk crusher(one ton/hr). The Chipmunk will only take ore down to about 1/4".

Thanks

Harry,

Have you found plans yet? I looked around on the internet and didn't find anything.  Most of the roller crushers I've run across have been pretty big.  My only suggestion is to find one, scale it down and copy it.

I've been collecting parts for a jaw crusher similar to a Chipmunk and haven't found a good flywheel yet.

One problem you might run into in scaling down is "nip angle".

The smaller the rolls, the greater the nip angle. This is basically trying to take a bigger bite than it can chew. Another example would be trying to crush 1" material in a mortar-pestle without breaking it into smaller pieces. The pestle is a roll crusher when you rock it back and forth.

What would probably work just fine is large diameter rolls just an inch or two wide. This would also reduce the horsepower requirements for the crusher.

But!!! I haven't tried any of the above myself nor have I seen anyone else try it.

Have you considered a small stamp mill?

Although manually operated, a see-saw (rocker) mill is cheap and easy to construct.

eric

The problem with a roller is that it is really not a good choice for taking material down to small sizes for extracting free gold. They wear across the middle where the rolls come together and form a gap. Then pieces larger than you want to have come out of the crusher will pass through the wear gap. They are hard to reface because they need to be round, where refacing Jaw crusher is not that difficult if you can weld.

I have the same situation - a small jaw and I want to take the material down to a smaller size for processing.

I bit the bullet and bought a small impact crusher from one of the advertisers in the magazine. I am glad I did as it really does the job for taking it the next step down in size.

The smaller ones are reasonable in price and the wear chains are easily replaceable.

See: http://www.makeyourowngoldbars.com/rock-crushers

Sampson Resouces likes this

I'm with Chis on this one. If you are already @ 1/4 " , the chain crusher that he is talking about will make short work of taking your material to minus 100 mesh and smaller. Mine is the one that takes 4" and smaller. Only problem that I've had is with really hard ores but with you starting at 1/4" , it will chew up and spit out practically anything you throw in it.----K Rose

Sampson Resouces likes this

Good advice! It's good to hear that those crushers are performing.  I plan to get a similar hammer mill but with solid hard faced hammers.  I have heard the chain hammers wear out and break very fast.  Its also hard to find hardened chain if you don't know a trucking company throwing out old tractor tire snow chains.  That's the only supply I know of.  I built a couple "prototype" chain mills with cast iron pots and modified 9'' angle grinders but I just need the real deal.