Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reno Chris

Mining Based Reality Tv Shows

53 posts in this topic

Love your post Steve,

The interest in gold mining today, on tv, is a sign of our times.  Folks get to be there, in comfort, while being entertained.  Miners don't exactly fight wars, but we totally stir-up the adrenelin.  My 2 grandsons critic the tv miners, much to my pleasure, because they love the mining and our times together as miners.  They sorta feel that "takes one to know one" is the truthful recognition of a gold miner.  Old timers today, record every tv mining show because they can as never before...technology.

I learned as a very young boy to respect and admire miners, fire warning shots into the air when speculators show their faces, and trust the Earth to provide and protect.  I think it beats being a subsistance farmer.

Just a quick correction guys - The 2nd. Season of Yukon Gold hasn't actually started showing yet. My mistake, it's just repeats of Season 1. The 2nd. Season won't start showing until early 2014. Watch it though if you get the chance as it's worth the time.

For those looking for the 2 Hour " Gold Fever " Special, there are Links on the " Gold Rush " Facebook page.

Last Sunday, I got all set up to watch Todd and crew in Guyana... :)

Waiting to get the weekly injection of "Gold Rush" and NO show!

I read last fall (2012) that Guyana had a NEW Department of Environment. The Department implemented a moratorium on all new mining activity in Guyana.

So, they could move equipment (with drama) and prospect and build a camp and get vehicles stuck a couple of times... and... leave us all hanging?

- Geowizard

Hi fellas! Carter here from Alaska, finally decided to join since AMDS forum closed., I wonder how much the "actors" get in the say of the editing, if any? I guess it would be like me telling my boss how to do his job. I must admit, I too watch all these shows and I now it isn't helping regs. My 2 daughters just received the whole series of little house on the prairie, ( all episodes and they are 141/2 and 17) what ever has happened !

Gold miners, prospectors and hobby prospectors such as this
writer do not need “Gold Rush” or similar shows.

I don’t know if you realize they are projecting the wrong image and decisions that affect us some times,

can be made based on reputation.

These trashy shows affect us all in a negative way.

The people I run into while out on the field are the exact opposite, easy going, friendly and helpful

Serg

<p>ICG will starts second season March 6. It will be interesting to see the scripting I was told about & how they were forced into situations when they knew better.</p>

<p>From the sounds of how things went, I'm sure glad I wasn't involved!</p>

I love my Tivo receiver!(direct tv) record everything to watch later for forwarding thru commercials. Anybody notice when parkers ripper broke on the d10 that it wasn't the same ripper? could fix it in 2 shifts! procedure isn't rocket science, or what about rip then flood with water to thaw faster? Guess 80% is scripted.

carter

I actually recorded this last season of Gold Rush on my Tivo, but never could convince my self to waste the valuable time necessary to watch them. I finally just deleted them all, never having watched even one.

Another season of GOLD RUSH kicked off last night!

I watched a couple of hours of re-runs from last season. Reality TV is, in some cases informative, yet in other cases confusing.

The Dakota Boys flew up to Cahon (sp?) pass and found gold. Dustin and a partner climbed 2000 feet higher up to a possible lode gold deposit with what is assumed to be a Shaw backpack core drill. The drill uses a water tank to lubricate the drill. It appeared that they made the ascent by climbing, yet the required water supply to drill the core must have created some undocumented drama!

It would be interesting to know the results of the core sample. It was sent off to get assayed, but the Dakota Boys are no longer on the series.

So, Tony Beets has invested $1 Million into a Bucket Line Dredge. I think this could get interesting! :)

- Geowizard

So, Tony Beets has invested $1 Million into a Bucket Line Dredge. I think this could get interesting!

I wonder what percentage of the million was paid by the discovery channel. At least Tony knows gold mining and is a no-nonsense kind of guy. On the other hand, who knows how the TV editors will portray him.

I got to visit an operating bucket line that was run by St. Joe minerals back in 1983. Even got to boat out and go on board.

It was quite an amazing thing to see it operate and St. Joe had modernized it with electronic controls

Yuba Goldfields near Marysville, CA

Somewhere I have this picture in color. post-2-0-55312600-1413767199_thumb.jpg

I would love to see this thing operating as well, it would be quite the sight.  I'm questioning the cost of $1M for that thing?  I can hardly believe an old bucket line dredge would be worth that, maybe it includes the cost of moving as well?  It hasn't run for 25 years so there has to be significant repair work completed before it fires up. 

Me thinks the $1,000,000 figure is BS. Tony ain't no dummy and more than likely only paid scrap price for it. They would also like you to believe that they get spot for all of their gold clean ups. That's also BS. They're lucky if they get 70% when it's all said and done.

Me thinks the $1,000,000 figure is BS. Tony ain't no dummy and more than likely only paid scrap price for it. They would also like you to believe that they get spot for all of their gold clean ups. That's also BS. They're lucky if they get 70% when it's all said and done.

Really? How much do you want to sell me at 70% Gary M? Bring it. :)

Gary,

Welcome to the forum!

I think Gary M is referring to raw gold after the refiner writes the check. It's about 70 percent of the raw gold. Discovery figures you get paid 100 percent on raw gold. :)

- Geowizard 

We normally get 90-95% on clean fines. The stuff I see on TV isn't very clean. The stuff here in NM (southern) is mostly fine but it's around 92-95% pure.

Consequently it takes a lot of shoveling into a drywasher. I never did find the kick starter for the shovel.

Gary,

Assuming you are mining 999 gold out of the ground - that doesn't leave much for the refiner or his buyer. :)

I mine gold that runs 900 fine. It's about 10 percent silver. The refiner gets 10 percent for refining the gold. There's always matrix, black sand and other impurities in clean gold.

Refiners make money when they buy and when they sell. They can sell slightly over spot.

- Geowizard

I never sold anything to a refiner. It takes a lot of work & time to get most of the black sand out but it's worth it.

There are some states that are accepting gold as legal tender. The only one I know for sure is Utah.

As has been mentioned many times in this thread, "reality TV" is anything but truthful and real. In the TV industry they are referred to as unscripted shows, which does not have the same implications that these shows accurately represent truth and reality - because they do not.

Clay likes this

From recent presentations made by Christo Doyle, they introduced a member of the production crew that is an experienced Alaskan miner. The situations may in some cases be staged in order to amplify the drama. The mining side of the program is represented by real machinery used in real mining situations.

Much can be gleaned by watching the situations and viewing the drama from a "critical" point of view. The critical view involves using curiosity and questioning in ones own mind the "reality" being portrayed.

I think that makes the programming fun and interesting. :)

- Geowizard 

This spring I put a resume in with the kid (Parker) and received a phone call interview from the discovery channel. I was seeking a 7 month leave of absence from my current employer when they called for a video conference, said they had 900 applications. While waiting for a answer from my boss I didn't answer the 3rd call and never heard from them after that. The last episode had not been watched yet and realized that the spot was to fill Genes position. I still wonder about how things may have turned for my family, Oh well