stargatetraveler

Bears On My Claim

46 posts in this topic

I am new to the forum.

Bears...some general bromides:

-Don't cook meat after dark.

-Sleep in a camper or trailer. 

-If you sleep in a tent, keep a flash camera under your pillow. If a bear comes in, take it's photo. The flash will temporarily blind it, and you have time to get away...and you get a bonus photo to accompany your new bear story. :)

-DO NOT keep food or toothpaste in your tent. No granola, not trail mix. No food in your tent. Can I say that again?

-Camp with dogs. 

Black bears...not as dangerous, as was previously mentioned. In the high Sierra, they will mostly avoid you, unless they are very hungry. Be careful in Spring. Nothing as dangerous as a sow with cubs. She will chase you down. Run...or fire warning shot. That works sometimes. :) (be advised bears can run up to 35 MPH).

Grizzly bears...Carry a sidearm... .45LC or .44mag...or larger. Single action... because you need to think for 1/2 a second before pulling the trigger. A bear's skull is thick, so aim straight down the gullet, or square in the chest. Nothing else will stop them. Shoot to kill if they come at you or stand up on you.

They want food not danger. They will remember your ice chest and your location if they find a food source, especially if you have the ingredients for smores. :)

Brian

Geowizard and Clay like this

Geo - do you have much problems with bears in your camp?

I have had them in my back yard probably half the nights from mid-September to early December - and that's in Reno. I picked up more crap off the ground than I would have if I had a couple of large dogs. 

Chris,

Try this and let us know the verdict. Take the old time moth balls and slightly bury them around yard, let us know if u got any more "piles around the back yard any more"!!!

A friend just got back from Kodiak deer hunting and did this around a short tree that was hanging the meat at camp, he got a deer close to camp and just drug it closer to their, the carcass, hide, ect. was gone next day!! Meat still in tree 100ft away, Next day up on hill he glasses the camp and sees a brown bear sitting at meat tree just stairing at it!! He got that idea from a old timer up here but said they had to be the old fashioned moth balls.

Ronald C likes this

I have apple trees in my backyard. and I am unwilling to cut them down. The bears only come when there is ripe fruit in the trees, but there are no fruit now in December - all has been harvested or dropped to the ground and thrown away.

A good dog is hard to beat.....and many are just waiting for someone to come and bail them out of doggie jail. Adopt one with a good bark. Downside is that bears are attracked to forty pound bags of dog food!!! Bottom line is that if you go into bear country that is exactly what you are doing...live with it or not. I doubt that there is a bear alive today that has not encountered a human and few want anything to do with our butts. But I guess there is always that one out there somewhere. I personnelly would rather have a bear stareing at me from across the creek than a spider crawling up my sleeve. Yuk!!!

Clay likes this

Constant Noise doesn't  prevent them from going into your camp. I've been dredging no more than 30 yards from the 

campsite and at the end of the day find my campsite raided and a big black bear up in a tree in the middle of camp. They are

clever at figuring out the noise is no real threat and you aren't paying attention to camp.

As someone said, a barking dog, better yet two barking dogs because bears, cougars etc can't focus on two different threats at one time

and will usually run to get out of the situation.

A dominate hungry Grizzly bear is a different matter, you shouldn't be alone where they are, you need at least another miner with a gun

and if you can, a dog or two.

It's amazing how quick they can move when they want to.

Bear on my claim and living in the tunnels somewhere. How do I get it to move out? I sure ain't going in to tell it to move out. It might get real mad and I bet I can't out run it. Can't shoot it inside the mine as I might bring some rock down and I'd end up trapped. Don't want to hurt it any way. Maybe I should set up a game camera and monitor it for a while and see if it's a loner or a family with cubs, etc. If I can find out when it's out of there, I can put a door on the mine. Any better ideas?

Thanks!

Jim

Interesting, I'd probably give it some time. It may have cubs and move on in time, not much food

in the cave and in time become more interested in food than shelter. It may move on.  

Keep us posted.

Rattlesnake,

It sounds like you need a door or this will continue to be an issue.  Might the bear be coming in another way?

A game camera is a great way to see how many you have and what they are doing.  It's best to have one in a bear-proof steel box because bears, as you know, are very mischievous, and may destroy your camera.  

Once you know when the bear leaves the mine to eat, you can plan to lock it out.

Good luck!

Interesting, I'd probably give it some time. It may have cubs and move on in time, not much food

in the cave and in time become more interested in food than shelter. It may move on.  

Keep us posted.

It's been there for a while and there is plenty of food and water nearby. It ain't leaving any time soon. It has found a den and it plans to stay there.

Rattlesnake,

It sounds like you need a door or this will continue to be an issue.  Might the bear be coming in another way?

A game camera is a great way to see how many you have and what they are doing.  It's best to have one in a bear-proof steel box because bears, as you know, are very mischievous, and may destroy your camera.  

Once you know when the bear leaves the mine to eat, you can plan to lock it out.

Good luck!

The bear is going in the portal (entrance) to the mine. That's the only way in and out. The footprints and dropping are everywhere. There are a few trees near to the portal that I will put a camera in one beyond it's reach and see what happens.

Keep us posted.

Little off topic, but speaking of dogs, I remember a few years back in California, someone

was at home and had a Doberman Pinscher watchdog. He heard some noise and went outside

to find a mountain lion eating his Doberman Pinscher it had killed.  

Had a brief bear experience in camp a few nights ago myself. A bear surprised a guy as it came up over a rise into camp - actually both the bear and the guy were surprised. The guy shined a high intensity LED flashlight into the bear's face and it took off like a shot!