35 posts in this topic

First rule of prospecting:

1. Don't buy processing equipment until you have discovered and defined a valuable mineral deposit.

(First rule of mining corollary: Tailor your processing equipment to your mineral discovery - not the other way around.)

Second rule of prospecting:

2. Don't start mining until you have discovered and defined a valuable mineral deposit.

There are many more but I thought I would get the basics out of the way. Lot's of digging and processing going on out there in the name of prospecting.  :D

Here are a couple of thoughts I had after hearing news of the Butte Nugget:

1.  Look for gold where it has previously been found..mostly.

2. The old timers may have scoured the hills and found lots of potato-sized nuggets, but they did not have the technology or tools we have today.

3. Don't assume that large targets are trash.

4. Keep digging.

5. Hard work and "sand" are indispensable choices, but don't forget that luck can play a role.

6. Damn, that guy was lucky! :)

"Most people miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison (Darnnit, I can't get the signature function to work in my settings, so this will have to do).

Clay and Geowizard like this

Yes Chris, I think sand is a choice....mostly.    :)

Pale Rider (1985):

• "One nugget. I'd love to find me one big nugget. And shove it up LaHood's ass so it'd wink at him when he washes his teeth."

• "You got sand, Barret, but you can't lie worth a damn. With the preacher gone, your life won't be worth spit.

A term I am clearly not familiar with.......

That's not surprising, as it's a term not commonly heard or used in the sheltered confines of academia.

(What is the acronym, GD&R for "Grinning, Ducking and Running?")  Seriously, I highly recommend "Fistfuls of Gold" as required reading for any serious gold prospector.

Bob

Back to Prospecting 101;

You're probably a "prospector" if; :)

If you get up on the week-end while it's still dark and put on your work boots... you're probably a prospector...

If you're often seen on your knees at the edge of remote creek shaking dirt in a pan... you're probably a prospector...

If you're often seen hammering on rocks for no apparent reason... you're probably a prospector...

If you have your hat turned sideways and you're looking intently at a rock through a magnifying glass... you're probably a prospector...

If you're reading this... you're darned sure a prospector!

- Geowizard

LOL

I think you nailed it.

There is lots to learn about being a prospector and learning how to find Gold!

Getting started just requires a gold pan.

A discovery happened in Wyoming right next to the Highway!

- Geowizard

The more you know about prospecting, the better your chances are.

The Prospecting and Mining Journal magazine, local prospecting clubs, your local prospecting store and books on prospecting are all great places to learn more.

Your probably a prospector if:

All your outdoor photography consist of pictures of the ground and interesting geologic features.

The only pictures you take of people are when their holding, or standing next to something mineral in nature.

You ask your partner to drive so that you can study the road cuts that you pass by.

When watching a movie, and they pan the camera to a stream or river, your first thought is "I wonder if there's gold there".

You find yourself panning down the concentrates....... of your cereal bowl.

You day dream about new and interesting ways to move and clean rocks.

Geowizard likes this