9 posts in this topic

Seismic method;

This subject pops up on occasion on this and other forums related to prospecting for gold.

What is the seismic method?

How does it work?

What are the applications?

All of these questions can be and need to be answered. This thread provides a venue for understanding more about  the capabilities and limitations of the seismic method.

- Geowizard

I've seen seismic methods used to trace buried gold bearing tertiary channels in the mother lode country of California. The gravel / bedrock contact gives an identifiable reflection.

Clay likes this

Very interesting.  I've seen students from the University of Nevada using the same or similar instrument mapping faults in my neighborhood.  I was surprised they were using a hammer instead of an explosive charge.  When I asked them about it they laughed and said they'd like to but weren't allowed to use explosives.  From the video it appears that the hammer is the standard tool.

I've also seen the geothermal energy companies using seismic tools for exploration but I think they use real explosives set off down a fairly deep well bore. 

Didn't know about the use of seismic methods to explore for tertiary channels.  That is very interesting and there are lots of tertiary channels still to be discovered.  Seems like it would take some skilled interpretation to  identify an underground gravel channel.  I wonder about the cost of a seismic system?  I know that geophones are or were available used for pretty cheap, $5 or $10 each.  I wonder about the cost of the monitoring hardware and software and it it's available used at a price a prospector can afford?

I was pretty excited about hand held XRF devices 'til I found out the price...

Bob

Seismic methods (alone) can be useful in exploration for gold.

Seismic methods rely on sound waves traveling through a "medium". Other methods are used with the seismic method:

- Geowizard 

Cost of the seismic method;

The cost of the method has to be considered in using any prospecting method.

Prospecting for gold or prospecting for bedrock?

Sometimes bedrock has gold. Most of the time bedrock has NO gold.

- Geowizard

Convoluted wavelets;

Have you ever taken a pair of glasses, rubbed Vaseline on the lenses and looked at the world around you? :)

The world becomes a fuzzy place!

The images we see are distorted or convoluted because of "convolution".

- Geowizard