David Strutt

Jig Concentration Ratios

19 posts in this topic

I’m trying to estimate the concentration ratio of jigs from

a placer plant with a ½” screen. The rougher will most likely be a 42” with
3/16 bedding followed by a cleaner jig with 1/8” bedding. Any input would be
much appreciated.

Past experience make me a little wary of manufacture production estimates. I'm hoping others on the list might have some real world experience that could give me a realistic estimate. 

But which make and model are we talking about? Otherwise you are assuming all jiggs of the same size are built exactly the same, which is not true. Additionally, nearly every jigg has adjustments to affect speed of the feed going across the jigg, the pulse rate, etc. Plus the nature of the feed, like how much iron black sands and other heavies are in the feed - I have seen placer gravels with very little heavy minerals and some with a very high percentage of back sands and other heavies (and all grades in between). That one factor alone will hugely affect your concentration ratio.

I had a horce name Jiggs once. 

Speling aint no big deel as long as wee no wot u mean. :P

Now back to our program...

I'm going with Chris' answer - more information is needed. :D

Barry

Be careful what you believe Geowizard. :)

Given enough information I could even figure out what you mean by:

You still couldn't answer the question.

Do you have some information that would help David given the parameters he has shared?

Do you just need the definition of Concentration Ratio" to answer Davids question?

Barry

I took his question as how much material ended up in the hutch as a ratio to how much material went into the jig. As you said, unless we know exactly which ratio he was after, there's no way to answer the question.

Jim

Gentleman,

What I want an estimate on is the concentration ratio of the
amount of material entering the jig compared to the amount coming out of the
hutch. This could be expressed in tons or cubic yards. I know it depends on
several factors. That said what I was hoping to get is what others may have
already had in past experiences.

Strangely enough several manufactures claim the same concentration
ratios, as defined below.

Specifications                   30"               30"              42"             42"

Rougher        Cleaner      Rougher        Cleaner

Capacity (YPH)               10-15             5-6            20-30           10-12

Maximum Feed                 ½"                ⅛"              ½"                ⅛"

Concentration Ratio        300-1           100-1         300-1           100-1

What I’m trying to determine is weather I will need a
finishing jig in my circuit.

Here’s what I am working with:

A trommel with a 30-35 ton per hour capacity.

A 42” rougher jig with 3/16 bedding.

A cleaner jig, size yet to be determined based on the output
of the rougher.

A finishing jig, if needed, depending on the final amount of
concentrate received from the cleaner jig.

I have a Goldtron table that from experience will process
about a eighty pounds of -1/8” concentrate per hour.

If I run a 100 yards through the Washplant I estimate
about 70% material across the jig (1/2” minus) of 70 yards. Converting to
weight I estimate 1 ½ tons per cubic yard or 70 x 1.5 = 105 tons,

According to the manufacture I can expect a 300:1
concentration ratio out of the rougher. So based on that I expect 105 tons /
300 = .35 tons or 700 lb..

The cleaner jig is expected to have a 100:1 concentration
ratio, so if I run the 700 pounds through that I would anticipate a final
product of 7 pounds.

Can anyone confirm ratios anywhere near these?

Are your jigs of a continuous clean out design that produce a certain amount of concentrate continuously or of the more common fixed hutch that you clean out periodically? (like a the end of the shift).

I think the manufacturers use the same number as they are only ballpark estimations as so much depends on the nature of your gravel and the percentage of heavies in it.

The 42" is continuous. To be honest I've never seen a jig you clean out at the end of a shift? The one I have is the IRD with a valve at the bottom. I set it to dribble a somewhat continuous stream of concentrate.

DAVID

I HAVE A PLANT SIMILAR TO YOURS AND HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED; AT 30 TON PER HOUR GOING INTO THE SCRUBBER WE HAVE SET THE ROUGHER (42" IRD SAME RAGGING AND SCREEN SIZE AS YOURS) AT 90 RPM, WE HAVE RUBBER NIPPLES SIZED AT 1/8" AND SET THE HUTCH PRESSURE SO THAT WE HAVE A FLOWING SLURRY COMING OUT THE BOTTOM. THIS GIVES A 98% PLUS RECOVERY WHILE YEILDING ABOUT 1200 LBS OF CONS PER HOUR. THAT WAS THE EASY PART TO SET UP AND HAS WORKED ON THREE DIFFERENT PROPERTIES. AFTER THAT YOUR ORE TYPE IS A BIG FACTOR. WE HAVE ONE PROPERTY WITH LOCKED UP GOLD WHICH REQUIRED A BALL MILL AFTER THE ROUGHER BACK ON TO A JIG AND TABLE.  AND ONE WHICH WENT ACROSS A FINISH JIG AND TO THE REFINER. EVERY ORE IS DIFFERENT TEST YOUR TAILINGS  TEST TEST TEST!!! BE VERY CAREFULL USING TABLES, THEY WILL WORK GREAT IF YOUR CLASSIFIED BUT A TABLE WILL NOT SEPERATE 100MESH MINUS GOLD FROM 20 OR 30 MESH ROCK. I LIKE THE GOLDTRON TABLE IF IT HAS THE JIG SETUP WITH TWO SORTS GOING ONTO THE TABLE, THE BIG SIDE WILL WORK WELL, BUT TEST THE SMALL SIDE FOR LOSS. ITS NOT SCIENTIFIC BUT ITS WHAT I KNOW,  AND I ALSO KNOW A GOOD LAB IS THE BEST TOOL IN THE BOX.