Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ted.herrdahl

Pinpointer For Gold?

21 posts in this topic

Is there any detector that can be used as "pinpointer" to find smaller gold pieces (less than a gram) too use to "clear out" holes before cover them? Would be great to have something small that still reaches maybe a few centimeters and easy to operate in smaller areas. 

My friend and ICMJ author Steve Herschbach once converted a Tesoro uMax VLF with a small 4 inch coil to a hand held pinpointer by shortening up the shaft and a few other changes. He said it would hit  a 2 grain (about 0.1 grams) gold nugget and see a 4 grain nugget at about 2".

following the bedrock sometimes but there are so much rosty rounded stones so it can be hard to know if you've hit bedrock or not thats mainly why i want to use detector. and follow the walls and down the smaller holes in bedrock. main hole is about a meter then i dig from bedrock aboveand like 20-30cm 40-50cm in.  Do not know what GB2 is, will check that out. How small are the smallest coil? 

Is there any way to use the coil not attached to the rod? could gold bug with 5" coil and that would be great if its possible to make an own handheld rod to use it.

That's a good idea.  I think it would be fairly easy to make some sort of a pistol grip with a short rod out of wood or other non-conducting material.

Has anyone used a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT Pinpointer ? And if so how did you like it ? Pros / Cons  I am needing one that is waterproof and they say it's good to 10ft., that would work for me if it performs like they say. Would like to hear from someone other then manufacturer.

I use the AT pointer.  Was detecting pickers on bedrock with the Gold Bug 2.

When I detected one, I would use the pointer to tell exactly where the gold was.   Works great.

Thxs Harry, I am also working bedrock with the G.B.2, so that sounds like that part is going to work. Now 2nd part is I am dredgeing in shallow water and would like to use the AT under water any time spent using it like that ?

Thxs again Harry, looks like I will have to give the AT a shot. They say the AT is good to a 10ft depth, I am dredgeing at around 5ft. should be OK, only time in water will tell.

As to a pin Pointer, I like the Whites Bullseye TRX.  It has several great features - Waterproof, used double A or 9V batteries, the coil is in the tip not on the sides so it makes pinpointing easier and is good for about 4" in depth. 

Terry

I use an MD-20.   It doesn't have the depth of the regular pinpointers but it's very sensitive for checking crevices where other pinpointers aren't sensitive enough.  Interesting that it's very sensitive to small gold but doesn't have much depth even for larger gold.

Bob