6 posts in this topic

As the value of a currency goes up, the price of goods bought with it goes generally down, so one would expect the cost of gold and eventually tea (as its not grown in Switzerland in any significant amount) to go down as priced in Swiss francs. Just as when the value of the US dollar goes up, generally the price of gold as bought in dollars goes down.

One thing for sure though, the price of gold and silver have been moving upward fairly sharply in the last couple days. I think a lot of this (including the move by the Swiss to abandon their peg to the Euro) is predicated on the highly anticipated move by the European Central bank to begin Quantitative Easing next week (read money manufacture out of thin air or simply printing up vast amounts of new money).

Look what a rousing success QE has been for us here in the US, everyone has good jobs, the economy is roaring, and all is well - NOT!

Clay likes this

I've always been fond of Swiss chocolate.  Tea from China.  How on Earth does that relate to gold spot?  It does.

I'm not sure the Swiss Franc is adjusting for inflation, it's assuming it's rightful position as the premier currency when measured against gold.  The Euro is in dire need of support from the Franc and without it, down goes the Euro.  Tracking world currencies to me seems as beneficial as watching flies on the wall.  They move a lot, but not really.

On the other hand,  from a vantage point closer to home,  The Brandon Rinehart constitutionality case is changing many gold prospector's sum total, net worth and feeling of all-around  self esteem.  We are back in the water dredging in California.  Everybody's mind is on the actions individual small-scale miners should pursue,  what's next?  The schemers and husslers we've been knocking heads with over our constitutional rights that were recently asserted by clear thinking,  won't go away and give up.  

Never underestimate our adversaries.  You know they're regrouping.

OH yeah, the chocolate to tea to gold prices,  gold always goes up.

Apparently the European Central Bank (ECB) is attempting to shore up the Euro.

The coming days and weeks could get interesting.

Recent gold price declines are supposedly related to improvement in the USD Index That affects gold!

- Geowizard

I've heard in recent weeks forecasts of even higher values for the dollar, if the US Fed bank raises interest rates while Europeans and the Japanese pump currency onto the market these predictions may come true. High values for the dollar strengthen the ability of Americans to buy imports, but mean continued low prices for things like gold and oil.