Sampson Resouces

Does Anyone Here Actually Hard Rock Mine?

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, please don't feel disrespect by my post here.  I am reaching out for any member who runs a hard rock mine.  I have asked a lot of questions on this forum and had some good advice too.  UNFORTUNEATLY I have also been given and read incorrect facts on this site that members have posted.

First of all I'm obviously not an admin to this site, but I ask as a group lets not answer questions if we don't truly know the correct answers, or maybe; be more clear that what you are stating is your opinion or idea.

I WOULD LIKE TO  HUMBLY ASK THIS FAVOR:

I am in the middle of getting my own hard rock mine into small production.  As any of you may know from experience this a VERY VERY bumpy road from every aspect of this industry; thus why so many of us have failed before.  I am really looking to connect with an individual, or individuals who has successfully been down the path I have chosen.  I am NOT asking someone to hold my hand,  but just someone who would be willing to talk to me on a personal level and educate me on some of your own experiences in dealing with different entities, equipment, problems and successes related to running a hard rock mine.  Please share your knowledge with me I am a very active learner and will not take an opportunity to talk with you for granted.

PLEASE SEND ME A PERSONAL MESSAGE THROUGH THIS FORUM IF ARE WILLING TO TALK TO ME.  THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOU TIME AND I REALLY ENJOY BEING A PART OF THIS WEBSITE AND FORUM.

FreeGoldFanatic likes this

UNFORTUNEATLY I have also been given and read incorrect facts on this site that members have posted.

Sampson...

This is a public forum. People post their opinions based on their observations/ life experiences.

In many cases when someone asks a question they are purposely vague about details. This does not

help in answering their question.

Sometimes not purposely, but the questioner lacks understanding and gives misleading information

in the initial question.

Good luck with your project.

Clay and Sampson Resouces like this

Thank you Dick, good input.  If you have read any posted questions from myself I believe that you would see, I intentional try to be as far from vague about details as possible.  I would go so far as to say I give very specific details when asking questions.  If you are insinuating that I am lacking an understanding of things maybe you could point me to the forum (or place) for people like me who look to learn and connect with more experienced individuals in the gold mining industry.   

Well here's something exciting since the hardrock forum is quiet.  My partner and I stumbled upon boxes and boxes of core drill samples in our mine. They are from Canada's Kinross Gold Corp.  All in all there is probably 1000' or so within all the different boxes.  Who knows if any of the cores even made it out of the mine.  I suspect some must have gone out.

Every box is labeled with the location and tags on each core.  We can then find the respective tag in the walls of the drifts.  So now the process of carefully getting them out of the mine has begun,  interesting how much more work it takes to get the cores out than hauling plain old ore.  Now we get to assay all these cores and hope for some good results.  I recently connected with a former employee of the mine in 1999; he says the place was assayed out to have 50,000 ounces.  Then Kinross leased the mine and began further drilling.  I assume the deposit was to small for them to keep an interest.  But for us we feel we got a small leg up and are pretty excited.  I will keep you guys updated.  We also have a channel on you tube with a few videos showing a bit of our operations.  Search Sampson Resources.

Yes, I have done hard rock mining. Here are some of my thoughts -

1) The thing here is that all hard rock is not the same. Depending one what your ore contains, you may be doing some very different things in your hard rock mine, and doing very different things to recover the values from your ore.

2) Hard rock mining is way more capital intensive. Equipment to drill and blast, muck out and recover the blasted ore, transport the ore to the surface, crush the ore and recover the values can be very expensive and that's a lot of equipment to have and operate.

3) All the different phases of hard rock mining from mining to milling to operating all the different kinds of equipment noted in point 2 above makes hard rock mining a lot more technical and difficult, with a lot more necessary skills than placer mining.

A resource of 50,000 ounces sounds good, but to Kinross that's a drop in the bucket. They are looking for million ounce and greater resources. For a small miner that would be great, if its a grade that you can recover at a profit. If it costs $2000 an ounce to recover your gold out of the ore, and you are selling it on the market for $1200 more or less, then that's not a very good resource. On the other hand, if you can mine and mill it for $600 an ounce, that's great. Hard rock mining (and any commercial mining) is all about the economics.

We have a hard rock mine in Montana and we have got a lot of our small scale equipment from Jason and his dad at MBMMLLC.(Mount Baker Mining & Metals LLC) We bought one of their first shaker tables and impact mills to use to process some of our old mine dumps for free gold. Our mine has small pockets of high grade ore with fairly large chunky gold. So far, all we have been doing is locating these pockets with metal detectors and using hand tools (impact drills, hammers, chisels, and a micro blaster) to chip out the ore that shows visible gold and packing this ore out in 5 gal. buckets. We crush the ore, pick out the larger chunks of gold, then re-run the picked material through a smaller jaw crusher, the impact mill and then onto the shaker table to recover the finer gold. So far we have recovered 50.2 ounces. In order to step up production we would have to clean up the tunnels so we could blast and move out material in small ore carts. But for now we'll continue to look for those places that the early miners missed. We are operating under a Small Miner Exclusion which lets us do just about anything as long as we don't disturb more that 5 acres on the surface and reclaim any areas that we do disturb. No other permits are required for the type of mining that we are presently doing. 

Sampson Resouces likes this

Sounds like a neat place Billy.  So far, our operation is about the same.  We use SDS hammer drills and buckets as well.  We primary crush with a jaw crusher and then screen, then over size reports to the impact mill.  We built a small electric screener to speed things up.  Once every thing is screened we run it across our shaker table as well. 

Would love to get my hands on a core sample for my collection. If you have any short lengths you could sell I would be interested. It doesn't have to contain a lot of AU, just a small bit.

Please pm if interested.