Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrell D

Melting Your Own Gold

9 posts in this topic

So you are not really any further ahead, I mean there is no economic advantage, and it also costs you some time to melt your gold into a bar. Thanks for the answer

Darrell

Darrell,

Sell it to whom ?  General public or to a refinery?

Geo pretty much covered it. I would not bother unless you are talking large amounts being

handled.

To me the greatest benefit would be alleviating the "melt loss" issue when selling to a refiner.

As Geo suggests.

I have heard many miners complain about how they felt "screwed" by such and such refinery

because the 100 ounces of raw placer turned into 85 ounces of saleable product after melt.

No one likes to see the melt loss figure !

I choose to keep mine in raw placer form. Allows me the flexibility to sell in a variety of markets.

Mr. Hammond, at what amount would it be better to take it to a refiner as melted? What are the other markets if that is polite to ask?

Thank you,

Ron

Hi Ron,

Mr. Hammond will probably reply.

I would like to offer a comment on your question.

Your gold and your refiner represent a unique business proposition.

- Geowizard

When to use a refiner, or melt your own gold is a call you make for yourself. The more gold you have to send to the refiner, the lower the cost per ounce you are charged. Melting your gold does not give you more gold, but allows you to find out the melt loss for yourself. Melt loss occurs because placer gold contains small amounts of quartz, iron oxides, rock, etc. When melted, the waste rock goes into the slag and is separated from the metallic gold alloy.