Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reno Chris

Small Scale Hard Rock Mining

33 posts in this topic

new to mining i am looking at some land with quartz,iron laying open on ground. i was wanting to know what would be best way to mine it

Really hard if not impossible to answer via the internet.  You really need to get an experienced mining geologist out to look at your property first hand and follow his advice. 

Bob

After working my tailing piles for detectable gold I am now switching over to crush and recover the small stuff. What are the thoughts of this set up:

Braun Chipmunk Jaw Crusher >3/16" discharge.

Sluice box with 20 mesh screen at the outflow to catch the minus 20 stuff, all overflow going to impact mill to minus 20 hopefully catching the big heavys with the sluice.

The minus 20 sent to Gold Cube and the tailing from that screened to minus 50 and 100 and re-run through Gold Cube.

Mesothermal gold, very thin in shape.

This stuff beeps, but plenty of small stuff in the quartz that I haven't touched yet.

12628531_797416600390641_548857327548569

new to mining i am looking at some land with quartz,iron laying open on ground. i was wanting to know what would be best way to mine it

Your location would be helpful. Have you confimed there is gold? Have you researched the mining history of the area? On the surface, pick it up and crush. If you find gold, either follow it on the surface or follow it down. Any structure to the reef?

So, just ran one 5 gallon bucket (40 lbs) of randomly selected ore.

Roughly .4 grams AU. Good, bad or ugly?

Hoped for more as usual but would you move forward with this result? Test more or just set up and get going? Most was in the minus 20 +30 range. Bunch in the 200 mesh size but out of my range to collect.

Your previous post stated that you were working a tailings pile.

From that we can assume minimal cost to extract the ore from the gangue.

So now you have to figure the cost of milling as it wold be the highest cost input.

You got 0.4 grams per 40 lbs of hand-sorted ore

That equates to 20 grams per ton.

Pretty good in my uninformed opinion.

The next question is amount of ore in the tailings pile.

From this you could determine the sizing of the milling equipment to meet the requirements of cost-efficiency.

Whatever provides the through-put you desire must pay its way (operational costs and amortization) and still provide a reasonable net profit.

As my background is in shovel-in placer operations, I have no idea what the daily through-put of your current milling equipment.

But like I stated, I'm pretty unqualified to offer any further ideas.

I only understand net v. gross profit when it comes to hard-rock.

eric

Eric, jaw crusher is rated at 400 pph, impact mill can keep up now with the new waterfeed but the 1 hp motor overheats easily.

Just purchased a 6.5 hp gas motor to replace the electric motor.

Gold Cube after screening to minus 20.