Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter Freedman

Rare Earth Elements - Is There A Market For Placer Concentrates?

11 posts in this topic

I am reviewing the economic feasibility of some placer ground. The ground is a mineral sands deposit with gold and Rare Earth Elements (Monazite and Xenotime). Is it feasible to sell the REE product if the operation can produce tons of REE concentrate? 

Peter,

How far is the deposit from the market?

Have you established a matter-of-fact process to refine REE's to a marketable product?

Marketability is all about location, distance to market, cost of transport, cost of refining, market demand (Do you have a customer?) and ultimately the demand of the investor for his ROI.

Get those answers and we can discuss feasibility! :)

Lifetime of the mine and permitting? - that's next.

- Geowizard

Geowizard, 

A guess a simpler question. If I have a REE enriched concentrate. Are there refiners that buy the product? Do you know any folks that do this? Where should I start my market investigation?

Peter,

Without re-writing a volume of information, I would suggest a good resource on the subject;

Take a look at www.avalonraremetals.com

Go to their page on rare metals. They offer a downloadable booklet that will probably be very helpful in answering your question.

Good luck!

- Geowizard

There have been companies like this in the past. An internet search can find if they are still in operation. It will be something where you need to produce tons of comparatively pure RE concentrate to be economically viable. Additionally, right now, RE prices are fairly low, making the economics more difficult.

Refinement of Xenotyme and Monazite into the pure RE elements is a messy, very technical process that generates significant acidic hazardous waste.

Clay likes this

Peter,

As with prospecting of any kind, we prospectors understand the importance of looking for and recognizing valuable minerals and metals. The process of discovery is challenging and very important. You are asking an honest question. Your question represents the second phase of prospecting.

Be careful listening to "nay-sayers" that distract from your efforts.

Keep up the great work! :)

- Geowizard

With reference to "buyers";

Developing a mineral resource takes time. You can chase the market or build the knowledge of a deposit, offer an investment opportunity and "wait".

- Geowizard

Not knowing any facts about the deposit, its hard to say.

However, I would guess that unless you are very wealthy and can afford investing many millions of dollars, I would say that better to lease it off to a mining Company that is reputable.