JR BOI

Epa Shuts Down Idaho Rivers To Dredgers

70 posts in this topic

Thanks for the update Scott. As usual the ICMJ is on top of the real issues involved. :D

I hope the Hearing Committee will take special note of the multiple Supreme Court rulings declaring in stream activities to not be a subject of the CWA or enforceable by the EPA.

100% agreed.

If you guys get the chance to,  force an EPA representative to disclose his jurisdiction concerning the Idaho dredging areas.  Don't let him sidestep your questions.  Our Supreme Court interprets the law, the EPA takes orders from politicians.

Good luck.

Rock,

I was not able to attend the event at the Statehouse yesterday, how was the turnout and meeting content? Did anything get accomplished?

Recent update from a fella from Caldwell, ID who was in attendance.

When he references "Ex-EPA" guy, that's Joe Greene.

(quote)
What he is trying to say Bob, when the Ex-EPA guy was doing his presentation, We were
watching the faces of the Reps. that was in attendance. Some how looks of
downright shock, while other seemed that they were amazed. I think over all they
have been for the most part awakened to the fact that they may have been misled.
I can honestly say 90% of the reps in attendance were paying close attention,
some even taking notes but one or two couldn't keep their eyes open. I'm sorry I
have no names, If I was to look them up I could put names to many by the face.
The Ex-epa guy made a excellent presentation based on his years of
research. 

The Sheriff from Idaho County also make a great presentation, he even sort of
threated to have any EPA official arrested if they showed up in his county on
what ever charge he could come up with. He is defently on the side of us and
doesn't like what the EPA has been doing, one straw at a time.

The guy from the Waldo Mining district also made a heck of a case. He made reference
to both Oregon and Cali, and how the EPA want all dredging to fall under the
permit that big dredges have to have to dredge harbors, river way and for
construction and such.

I feel optimistic on the outcome actually.(/quote)

Jr. The above from underburden pretty much sums it up for the most part. I Talked with a senator after words and he seemed very much in our ball park and didnt like what the EPA was doing in idaho. The committee did seem very surprised with all the information they recieved from the speakers. The attendence was great with nearly a full audauditorium . Thanks to the out of state guys for coming out to present good factual cases,based on research and recorded court cases. Now I guess we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the updates. It is very encouraging to hear that folks from other states attended the meeting as well.

I do not know if you subscribe to the Pick & Shovel Gazette as a result of being a GPAA member , but there is a very disturbing article about a gentleman who came to Idaho and got harassed by the EPA. This is. the very first instance I am aware of where the ETA is actually confronting recreational prospectors. Equally troubling was the reference that the forest service was enforcing the EPA permit requirements in northern Idaho. The forest service in southern Idaho seems to be somewhat supportive and in our corner for the time being.

In any event I'm glad to see this topic is getting some exposure. thanks again for the update.

JR

My son and i were in idaho last year, we had metal detectors, pans.Odd's and ends, Had a great time, exploring the state.Found some very nice quarts crystals.Went down near Nevada, dug up some "thunder eggs" as they call them.Saw people running dredges on the GPAA claim there, they had some very nice nuggets.Never found any real gold to speak of.Also ran into a few individuals running small dredges here and there in the out of the way places.We never ran into anyone from the state to speak of.

I did talk to a geologist from idaho, several times before i went.He seemed very positive to us coming there and exploring the state, encouraged us to do so, and when i talked to a lady from one of the offices that handles claims and such, she was very nice, told me when i retire to show up, explore and file for a claim myself, it would be a great state for me to spend some time in, when i retire.

I havn't recieved any negative feelings from anyone at the state level at all.

Rockcrawler88,

What was the reason for it being shot down?  Was it a matter of a party line vote?  As a former resident of Idaho and a miner this is disconcerting to me (Idaho is on my list of places to retire to as I love the people there).

Randy Seden

Simi Valley,CA.

The bill was withdrawn because it was poorly written and unenforceable as written.

I doubt this issue is going away though. The original bill had good sponsorship and could easily be drafted in a way to accomplish the reasonable objective of defunding any cooperation with the EPA by State officials. That would have the intended effect and would pass review by the courts. As I understand it that rewrite is already in process.

Better to have an enforceable law that gets the EPA out of locals hair and won't be overturned.

Despite Federal funding and the encouragement of Congress only Minnesota and New Jersy have taken over the compliance duty from the Feds. Idaho has for several years been in the EPA sights as the easiest target for the first western State to take over compliance duties. I'm thinking they chose the wrong pony to ride. :lol:

The Supreme Court has twice ruled that instream sediments are not pollutants regulated under the Clean Water Act.

Simply put the Clean Water Act and the EPA can't be used to permit or restrict instream suction dredging. They are bluffing with their losing hand showing. Liars poker at it's worst. Ignore the EPA and their bogus gold dredging permits. I seriously doubt the EPA is willing to lose that case for a third time just when Congress is considering defunding the whole shebang for intruding on citizens rights.

Good response clay, hope that helps randall. It sure would be nice if the governor would issue an emergency order on it though like he did with the guns not to long ago. I think we have a very good chance of prevailing on this after its re written. The to biggest hold outs were democrats ofcourse.

THey have proved many, many times over that in the eyes of EPA bureaucrats fish, tress and other wildlife are much more important than people -

Here in Washington state placer  Gold mining is controlled by the Corp of Engineers and the state , they have determined that a dredge of 5 inches or smaller has no effect on the environment and no permitting is required we have regulations the Gold and Fish  regs issued by the state of Washington but other than that no one has really bothered us much !!! That is unfortunate to hear about Idaho !!!

probably a waste of oxygen talking to public officials. Perhaps a letter to the larger tourisn organisations/operators - hotels, mall owners, etc., letting them know how many dolars they are missing may produce something a bit better.

Best of luck with your battle. Stupid australian governments are following the same path - simply to appease a few fringe green voters.