Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flintgreasewood

Tree Burls As Gold Indicators

3 posts in this topic

Some years ago I was told that stands of trees [in that case, spruce] that contained an unusual amount of burls was an indication

of gold beneath the surface, and more specifically, the presence of arsenic that caused the burls to form. Arsenopyrites often

contain significant amounts of gold. Recently I was exploring an area of my claims that have a very strong potential for hard

rock mineralization and came upon a grove of birch and spruce at the top of draw. Nearly every tree, spruce and birch, had at least

one large burl and some had half a dozen or more and many were significantly deformed.

I would like to hear if anyone has any salient information on this subject. So far on line all I could find was one semi

scientific paper making a correlation between arsenopyrite and vegetative dead zones.

Ronald C likes this

I've got nothing on your tree burls, but have to say that is pretty interesting if their is a correlation to mineralization.

In the Sonoran desert, the trumpet plant is supposedly an indicator for prospective ground… and it's usually surrounded by cat claw, prickly pear, mesquite, and cholla - indicators for prospective injury.  

I've not heard of any such thing. I don't know if trace amounts of arsenic would cause burls, but so can a lot of other stuff like bacteria / fungus, and physical damage to the tree. From Wikipedia:

A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be caused by an injury, virus or fungus. Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition.

Arsenic measurements from soil samples can be an indicator of mineralization, but burls are not a reliable indicator of arsenic.