Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reno Chris

Don't Do This!

23 posts in this topic

I was out prospecting in Nevada and came across an area where a prospector had left one open hole after another, some close to a foot deep. Right in the middle of the open hole area was trash left probably from the guy's lunch.  I later came across another area of open holes in California. I just want to encourage everyone to pick up your trash and fill in your holes! Nothing marks you as a bad operator more than leaving behind a bunch of trash and open dig holes.

post-2-0-31792700-1439272540_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-15432600-1439272554_thumb.jpg

Steve Herschbach likes this

Yeah, you used to be able to fill in the slobs holes with a "kick of the boot". Now you have to use a rake or shovel.

I think they should ban all PI's 

Seriously, you are right, Chris.  It only takes one lazy person to make us all look bad.

Fill them in and leave no trash!

This has been an issue for me for quite awhile now, this kind of lazy jerk does more than just make us look bad. With more and more people out detecting and leaving holes behind sooner or later there will be laws against detecting on public land and sad to say they'd be justified. We all need to start getting militant about filling holes.

Bob

"Exploring for nuggets, exploring for mineral deposits on a larger scale and mining that leaves larger holes fall into the same category."  Yes, and we call the process reclamation.

Surrounding my hometown of Beatty NV there are now at least 5 new open pit gold mines which have each been inspected, deserted and deemed OK.  No they're not OK.  They're economical.  Corporate America at it's most profitable.  Government leadership at it's worst.

A metal detectorist who doesn't reclaim his holes is suffering from a lack of self-respect.  I doubt the perpetrator shown in Chris's photos cares what anybody else thinks,  it's like tossing a burning butt out of the window of it's vehicle............if nobody sees,  it got away with dumping it's bowels onto my world,  your world.  Shortcutting fools who cause reck and ruin for the rest of us ought to be buried in their own excavations.

Like Chris said "Don't do it"

I was detecting in CA a couple days ago and came across some more deep and unfilled holes. What kind of airhead has no thought to leave things that way?

Apparently some folks just don't get the issues and hazards of open holes on public lands where animals graze, riders zip through on ATVs, and other uses beyond mining take place.

I was detecting in CA a couple days ago and came across some more deep and unfilled holes. What kind of airhead has no thought to leave things that way?

Chris, detectorists like you that have been detecting for many years were taught in the beginning to fill their holes. Now, there are so many people with detectors who haven't been taught and just don't care.

Not sure what can be done about it, other than all of us taking a more vocal approach when we see people not filling their holes.

Geowizard likes this

I am leaning toward the possibility that too many folks just don't care. Hopefully if we talk about it enough, they will get shamed into doing what is right.

Dan likes this

I'm with all of you on the holes!  I had people "jumping" my claim and not filling in their holes!  So, I put signs up indicating "under video surveillance" and it stopped.

Of course that won't work over the whole of public lands.  I just fill the holes as I come across them.  I don't want the government to have another excuse to close us out.

Glad you brought this up Chris.  Great book "Fists Full of Gold" and I enjoy your web page.

Bugler