Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reno Chris

Weather Turning Cooler And Wetter

8 posts in this topic

I am up in the gold country and starting to notice the color of the leaves are changing and winter is coming.

What are you all doing to get in the last weeks of gold mining or prospecting - or to prepare for the winter/

Fall is definitly in the air here. Doing some rotten bedrock busting getting some nice fine but course ( if that makes any sense.) gold,along with a Gold Bug-2 with a 6" & 10" coils. It's just beutiful up at site.  Also clearing and cutting in new trails to drop dwn. into  canyon. Can never get enough done before snow reaches creek,it's already crowned the peaks and it's not termination dust. And when I get chased out of there I will be running some gold bearing crushed black sand from beach, over shaker table. (very fine / but very nice ! ) watching football ( college & pro ) while enjoying an adult beverage, dreaming of next season,life is good. GO BILLS !!!!!! B)

Next weekend will be our last weekend to dredge here in Idaho as the season is closed on September 30th.  As such, we'll spend 3 full days in the water next weekend and hang up the wetsuits for the season!

I was up dry washing the other day and there were deer hunters were everywhere and we heard shots in the distance. We were even stopped by DFG game wardens. Just one more reason to pack it in for the winter and head back to Nevada. Just a few more days up in Sierra County, and I'll be wearing an orange ball cap and a tennis ball green vest. I find 99% of the hunters are great, but a tiny few are there to drink massive amounts of beer and shoot at anything that moves. 

I am starting my preps to prospect here in Az. So bring on the cold and wet.  I do need to make a mortar and pestle on account of being so poor due to health conditions.  I guess what really hurts is that I used to work for a company/friend that made portable hand carry hammer mills for prospecting. But they are long gone now and I didn't want one then.  20/20 hindsight hurts sometimes.

I have not made the mortar part, but I made my own pestle out of 3/4 inch rebar a foot long and a 2 inch ball from a ball mill. I just welded one on the end of the other. The round ball is good for crushing.

1" rebar is exactly what I had in mind or I should say what I found in the scrap pile, I like the 2" ball idea.

I had to leave my metal lathe in Idaho or making a ball and the bottom concave part of the mortar would be easy, so instead I will have to find something else.

I think some front wheel hubs have a flat bottom but the corners are rounded which would help.  I now have a good excuse to go to the nearest scrap yard.