Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canukgold

Rock Assay Samples

4 posts in this topic

Hi, recently I split 3 samples and  sent 3 samples to a certified lab in British Columbia Canada  and the same 3 samples to a lab in Pahrump, NV.  Results from the certified lab came back with understandable results while results from the NV lab came back with one sample at 1/6 th of the certified lab; one at 1/20 th and one at 1000 times higher.   The NV lab is not certified and the numbers are whatever suits.  What a waste of time and money. 

I'm curious, what is a "certified" lab anyway ?  One would expect it to mean they have to meet certain standards and

are monitored, but terms can be used loosely. 

Also, does it mean the same across borders ?

Hi Dick,

As you guessed, there are some industry groups that put out samples. the participating labs test them and if results are accurate they can claim to be certified. I think the ones I remember are tested in at least the US and Canada. We used to use an umpire lab in Canada. Umpire assays are used to test disputed results. An example might be that you send a lot of gold-silver dore to an assayer, and his results are different than yours, so a sample is sent to an umpire assayer for testing.

It makes a huge difference what assayer you use, and its important to use reputable ones.