Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gambrinus

Detecting In A Highly Mineralized Area

19 posts in this topic

Yes the GPX 5000 seems to have all the right bells and whistles.  Can you tell me the difference between the dd coil and the mono coil?

I think I will try and forget anything I knew about detecting, unless the price of square nails and bottle caps go up.

Hi everything you need to know is at your finger tips just google it and all will be revealed-as far as operating the Gpx series google Jonathan Portor he has some good video's that show you how to run and set them up-Hope this helps-Mike C... :ph34r:

When talking about pulse induction detectors the two most common coils are DD and mono. A DD has two coils, one transmit and one receive. The mono has a single coil that alternates between transmit mode and receive mode.

Each manufacturer has owners manuals available for free download on their websites. It is a good way to learn what a model can do and of course basic operating instructions.

post-14522-0-95161800-1445704636_thumb.jpeg

Thank you Steve, that is a simple yet very imformative explanation on coils.  I love pictures.

And thanx for the tip about downloads off the site, now I know what to look for when I am on their site.

Links to manuals for detectors new and old....... http://jb-ms.com/Detectors/Manuals/

Prospecting detectors excel at handling mineralization. The Minelab GPX 5000 in my opinion has more and better settings for more diverse mineralization settings than any other detector currently available which combined with the over 100 coils available for it makes it the standard to beat in that regard.

Pro is less weight on your arm reducing arm strain. Con is you are wearing a harness? Mine is actually a small rucksack containing needed items so in my case there in no downside. I wear it even if I use a light detector that does not need the bungee support.

Get a Whites TDI Pro best bang for your buck , most of the GPX series Minelab coils fit right on the TDI , :D :blink:I have a couple for mine and it will find about 99.9% of what the Minelab Trashmaster will find !! And it does not cost 5 to 10 K ! It is a real bargain and a very well made machine , watch some depth tests on youtube the TDI is simply an amazing machine !!!

Gambrinus,

I have not heard that name is years. Do they still make that brand of Beer? I can still remember a bit of the jingle I heard on TV as a kid.  

The TDI is a pulse induction metal detector like the Minelab and probably not a bad choice. Pulse induction detectors have no real problem with mineralized ground.   I owned a TDI at one time and liked it.  But I had a Minelab GP detector and liked it better.  However these days you can get a GPX model 4500 to 5000 for under 3k if you look around.  I just think they are a more powerful and versatile machine than the TDI.  

However the majority of Metal detectors out there are Not pulse induction but are VLF detectors.  VLF detectors do struggle with mineralized ground but have the capability of discriminating between targets which for the most part the Pulse induction type of detector cannot not do, so you just dig everything with a pulse induction detector.   Some VLF detectors can handle some degree of mineralizaton especially one's designed for Gold prospecting but even the best will be limited in depth due to mineralized ground compared to a Pulse induction metal detector.  Some areas are so littered with iron junk making it very work intensive to find anything worth keeping.  In those areas a VLF detector is really nice to have.  You will still dig some junk but it becomes more manageable with a VLF.

Hope this helps,

Terry 

Gambrinus,

Sorry, I thought you were were new at this but see you are an advanced member so I apologize as I am sure you were probably already aware of the info I provided.

Terry

Like I was saying the TDI will pick up almost everything the MInelabs will, a used TDI will go for under $800 and have about the same depth as a Minelab  at  Only around 3K , Petty much like my BH Pioneer 505 will hit targets at 3 feet in all metal mode and my more expensive detectors like my X-TERRA 70 will not go that deep , but it does not do it as well ,it does not have all of the features of a more expensive detector , for a guy on a budget you can do a lot more for less if you pick up the right detector , I have been an ELECTRONICS TECH working in a number of fields for over 35 years including industrial and consumer metal detecting products to component level ...

Ricky D N likes this