Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mariposa Museum

History Of Hard Rockmining Equipment

3 posts in this topic

I run a Gold Rush museum and have a pretty good handle on milling machinery but I have compiled a long list of questions that I can find no information on.

I'll throw this one out: There was a stamp mill called a thunder crusher that was made in  or sold out of New York and used in the 1860's in California. Apparently  it was a superior performer to Hendy and many other mills made on the west coast and was said to be " guaranteed to save all the gold in the rock and some that ain't" . Is anyone familiar with this model or type of stamp mill?

Millman

I don't recognize that name. Can you post some pictures of it? All stamp mills make a lot of noise - its the nature of dropping a heavy rod of steel.

Feel free too to post your questions and we will do what we can.

Been a bunch of years since I visited the Mariposa mining museum, it was a great facility.

Have no pictures or illustrations. It was mentioned several times in the Mariposa Gazette in the 1860's. Used at the Benton Mills operation on the Merced River to mill ores from the Pine Tree and Josephine mines as well as others located on the Las  Mariposas grant properties. Out of 80 stamps 32 were these  Thunder Crushers. They had to build oversize foundations for the mortars, so my suspicion is they they had larger gauge stems, bosses and shoes, and thus a heaver mortar box.  One other clue was that they employed the "Ryerson" process of milling up until 1868.