Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bulldog

Trommel Build

3 posts in this topic

need a winter project so we will build a trommel for next season, im thinking a 36 inch barrel with 3/4 wire cloth for the screen section, need some advice on how to drive the barrel. (A) sprocket around the barrel (B) old truck rearend or © build a solid axle and drive the axle with sprockets, any advice  thanks  Bulldog

hello , i used a honda gx160 with a factory 6 to 1 gear reducer , motor with reducer cost 500 , used a 1.5 inch shaft pulley , i have a 15 inch diameter trommel barrel , used a normal belt around barrel and pulley , no slipage , no gears or sprocket, , works awesome , hope this helps , good luck

post-19083-0-04789300-1482077911.jpg  

padraig likes this

TO REALLY DESIGN A TROMMEL YOU NEED TO HAVE A PRODUCTION GOAL IN MIND, A 36" DRUM I WOULD CONSIDER  A SMALL PRODUCTION OR BULK TESTING PLANT (20 TO 30 TPH)  SO I WOULD ASSUME IT WILL BE FED BY A MACHINE OF SOME KIND, IT IS HARD TO AVOID A FEED SURGE WHICH CAN OVERLOAD THE BARREL, MY HUMBLE OPINION IS A DIRECT DRIVE TO AVIOD STALLING THE PLANT OR GRAVITY DRIVE SO THE MORE MATERIAL FED THE MORE WEIGHT ON THE DRIVE WHEELS. I USED TO HAVE A LITTLE BALL MILL THAT WAS BELT DRIVE, IT WORKED AWESOME UNTIL IT RAINED OR THE BARREL GOT WET. I BUILT A 32" X 10' TROMMEL 2 YEARS AGO CHAIN DRIVE  AND IT WORKS RAIN OR SHINE. GOOD LUCK