Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harry Lipke

Old stamp mills

7 posts in this topic

What is the goal in rebuilding - to use them for milling or to display as a museum?  The modern technology of ball mills is markedly superior to stamps, and the cost to rebuild something like a stamp mill where all repair parts will need to be all custom fabricated will likely exceed the cost of new equipment. To be honest, I have never heard of anyone who rebuilt stamps for serious use in rock milling. All examples I have heard of were for museum display and to show tourists, so the re-build is not to full operational specs. 

What is the goal in rebuilding - to use them for milling or to display as a museum?

Do you mean "functions" in as it spins around a few times to show tourists or actually works day to day for hours so you can process ore in one? The term "for display" implies to me that you are just wanting to display for tourists.

If you want a small mill to process a few hundred pounds here and there buy a small jaw, a chain or roller mill and a shaker table - it will be worlds cheaper than hiring a custom fabricator to create the parts you need. Nearly all stamp mills used copper tables covered in mercury to capture the gold, and you probably dont want the headaches of permitting a mercury based operation. I dont recommend it.

You can download an old text book on how to build and operate stamp mills here:
https://archive.org/details/stampmillingatr01margoog

Yes, Chris, I just meant "function"  as "in working order".  For viewing only, not to crush ore.

I do have a jaw crusher for that.

I'll check that link out.  Thanks

Charlie Connell is the man when it comes to restoring and repairing stamp mills.  I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

http://stampmillman.blogspot.com/

I worked on the Donovan's Mill project in Silver City, NV with Charlie for a very short time, still learned a lot from him.  Do you own a stamp mill?  If so, we need pictures!