17 replies to this topic

#1 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Anybody out there versed in using iodide as leach? I need a little more info on using an acid buffer during oxidation and preciipitation to prevent base metal biuldup in leach.

#2 Reno Chris

Reno Chris

ICMJ Associate Editor

• Administrators
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

What kind of material are you leaching? How much of it do you have? What do the assays indicate is the nature of the ore (ie., what other metals are present, etc.

Chris

Reno Chris

"So I learned then, once for all, that gold in its native state is but dull, unornamental stuff, and that only low-born metals excite admiration with an ostentatious glitter. However, like the rest of the world, I still go on underrating men of gold and glorifying men of mica. Commonplace human nature cannot rise above that." -- Mark Twain

#3 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

5 dump truck loads of granite assyed @ 20 ounces per ton.Plus I would like to correct a mistake. The acid buffer is suposed to alieveate buildup of salts by supplying extra oxygen and hydrogen atoms.I thinkIgot that right. Anyway,I am open to any better sugestions from more knowledgeable people than me.

#4 David Ramey

David Ramey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

K Rose, try here http://webpages.char...bcftp/bcftp.htm

#5 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the  info.I am glad to see that icmj is linked to that site. It's what got me started expeirimenting  with the iodide leach.I went from there to doing web searches on leaching gold with iodine and the other halides. I found "free"info on expired patents that listed several options for oxidizers and precipitators.It also listed several options for the acid buffer.The info calls for adding the oxidizer and precipitator in the presence of a buffer but does'nt specify if it is added to the leach or to the oxidizer before being added to the leach. In my small scale expierimentation of repeated leaching in the closed loop cycle without the buffer has caused the leach after precipitation to become an odd blue color instead of being clear.I can only assume with my limited knowledge that it is from a buildup of salts or maybe a buildup of base metals.Hence my desire to seek the knowledge of experts.

#6 Reno Chris

Reno Chris

ICMJ Associate Editor

• Administrators
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

The presence of significant amounts of Sulfides can greatly complicate things. You didn't mention what, if any sulfides you have. Granite can contain sulfides, especially when its mineralized.

Other metals can complicate things - though you have not told us much of any info to go on, Blue colors in solution can possibly indicate copper.

Have you had the ore tested for base metals? It does make a difference.

You mentioned 20 ounces per ton, I assume that's gold, though it could be silver. Have you crushed and panned any samples? Often it is necessary to process free gold separately from gold locked up in other minerals.

You mentioned that your ore was granite. Mineralized granite does exist, but 20 ounces of gold seems awful high for mineralized granite. Who tested your ore and have you had other assayers test it? If you have not had it tested by a second assayer (and maybe even a third), I would do that before I invested any further money in treatment.

Reno Chris

"So I learned then, once for all, that gold in its native state is but dull, unornamental stuff, and that only low-born metals excite admiration with an ostentatious glitter. However, like the rest of the world, I still go on underrating men of gold and glorifying men of mica. Commonplace human nature cannot rise above that." -- Mark Twain

#7 Geowizard

Geowizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationArizona (winter) Alaska (summer)

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

K Rose,

Just a few observations and questions from what has been said so far. :)

1. To assay 5 dump trucks you would need to crush, mill and blend all of that ore.

2. Leaching is used on low grade ore. You have high grade ore. 

3. Granite is not on the list of permeable rock types that are leachable.

4. There are a few places that have advertised an ounce per ton. That is by most standards "rich" ore. Concentrates can run 20 ounces per ton. So, a 20 ton belly dump can haul your gold ore to a smelter and @ 20 ounces per ton That's a half million dollars.

I am curious to know why you are attempting to leach high grade ore using iodine? You could mine it and haul it to a smelter/refiner as a gold concentrate.

- Geowizard

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!", Dr. Seuss

#8 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Can anybody out there address the original question of how to introduce the acid buffer to the leach ?We have gotten way off track to the original question.Yes I am new to this.No I am not that knowledgeable.Right now it is my toy to play with.At the present time I plan to keep it small scale.I do plan on checking to see if it free milling when my rock crusher arrives this week.I apologize for not stating it was gold,or for not being able to offer more info for you to go on.Maybe I will be wiser next tlme I throw myself to the lion's den.But for future reference for whatever I have my hands on to leach, I would like to simply know how to apply the buffer.Once again I show my ignorance but are there really that many variables concerning the buffer?And as for the refiner,I enjoy doing that myself.A simple man like me can go a long way on a little at a time on something like this.I really did not realize what I thought to be one simple question would mushroom into such a complicated matter.Oh well,thank you for your time and knowledge guys.

#9 Eric N

Eric N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

For hobby level leaching, your best bet is to try this forum.

Gold Refining Forum

20 opt Au in granite? Who did your assay?

eric

#10 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for the info.I just put it in my favorites so I can access it as soon I log off here .As for as the assay numbers I can only quote what I was given.But as far as divulging any more info that doesn't pertain to the original question I will decline to do so.One thing for certain time will tell if  the assay is correct or not.The only reason that info was given was because it was asked of me by someone that I hoped was going to cough up the answer to my question.But I realize that answering one question with ten more questions is the art of journalism and is what makes the guy good at his job.

#11 Geowizard

Geowizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

K Rose,

You asked one question with no relevant information. You presented ten irrelevant facts and won't provide answers to relevant or irrelevant questions.

Thanks!

- Geowizard

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!", Dr. Seuss

#12 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thank you again Eric for the other forum.Got my answer right off the bat over there without all the hoopla.

#13 Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 201 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

K Rose,

You asked one question with no relevant information. You presented ten irrelevant facts and won't provide answers to relevant or irrelevant questions.

Thanks! - Geowizard

I feel for K Rose on this one. He asked a specific question. "Anybody out there versed in using iodide as leach? I need a little more info on using an acid buffer during oxidation and precipitation."

After reading this thread I also would be feeling like I was getting grilled if I was in his shoes.

#14 Reno Chris

Reno Chris

ICMJ Associate Editor

• Administrators
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Steve - to me Its like someone calls up AMDS and wants a part for his dredge but doesn't know what that part is, and is offended when you start to ask questions to try to help figure out what the needed part actually is.

Leaching with iodine / iodide solution is a difficult and messy process, and the summary by Dr. Williams on the ICMJ website is correct, but far from complete, and in fact leaves out a lot of very critical information. Dr. Williams said it well: I really hate to see folks trying to follow a cookbook recipe to the point that when something goes a little wrong it wrecks everything. There really is no one size fits all answer on what chemicals to use or how much to add or how those chemicals will react - so simple cookbook directions are often totally unreliable. Some ores can be processed no problem with halides like iodine, but some are darn near impossible to process with halides, some could react to produce toxic by products, etc.

Acid buffers control the acid Ph levels. They do not directly control oxidation levels or base metal concentrations.  Depending on what other chemicals are in solution, acid levels can affect some types of base metals, and can affect oxidation levels under certain conditions. Without knowing what other chemicals are present, the nature of the ore, etc. - its like trying to guess a dredge part having no idea of the dredge maker, size of the dredge, what the part does, etc.

I have participated in the Gold Refiners forum and though a lot of guys there have experience in processing electronic scrap, few know much about ores, and the two are quite different. I found when I was there that some guys just wanted to tinker and mess around. That's all fine, and if K Rose wants to tinker - no problem. On the other hand if someone wants people to help figure out if the ore is amenable to that type of leach, and what is the best way to handle the ore, you cant ask those who are willing to help to do so in the dark and without any information. 

Reno Chris

#15 Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 201 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Now that is a great answer Chris!

I am just giving voice to a perception on my part, without meaning anyone in particular, and I may of course be off base. Just the net effect of the thread.

#16 K Rose

K Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with you Steve,that is a great answer.Now that I have gotten a handle on the theoretics of how to apply the buffer,I am ready(hopefully)to move on to the percieved situations that you have enlightened me with.While I do not have the answers you need at this time to properly advise me;I do desire to aquire that info and get back to you.But I will give you what I have so far.Other commodities from the district this came from are ;Cu,Lb,V,Ag,F and possible U and Th .The description is;Veins filling fissures in the Pennsylvanian bar,B formation and Cambrien Bliss formation.As for the concentrations of the other commodities,I haven't got that info yet.Also don't know about sulfides at this time.On another note,I read the article under the resource tab about the Blm and assays,found it to be quite an eye opener.I feel that a red flag may have gone up over the possible uranium and thorium.Don,t  know till you tell me and you probably need more to go on than what I've been able to supply at this time.But I am tickled to see this thread got updated to hot;always good for the ratings you know.

#17 Reno Chris

Reno Chris

ICMJ Associate Editor

• Administrators
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

K Rose - Best of luck to you in your efforts, I hope all goes well for you.

Reno Chris

#18 Geowizard

Geowizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

yep, good luck!

- Geowizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users