Sign in to follow this  
Reno Chris

Into Africa

By far and away, the dominant detector I saw in all the areas we visited was the Teknetics T2. Roughly 2/3rds of all the detectors I saw that the locals owned were this brand and model - and the T2 is a well designed and very capable VLF. However I saw all the popular gold detectors made by First Texas (Teknetics, Fisher, etc.) and Minelab. I don't remember seeing any Whites or Garrett detectors. I didn't see anyone with something like a radio shack cheapie or Chinese branded detector (we did however see a number of non-functional Chinese fakes of other models).

Guest Elijah Withers

I have 2,000 acres in Northern Brazil....2 degrees North of the equator. A mix of tropical rain forests and savanah, and certainly malaria country. I don't take anti malarial medicine when I'm there. If you get malaria while taking the pills, then there isn't much the doctors can do for you. My approach to dealing with the skeeters is to wear lightweight long pants and long sleeve shirts. If I'm going out into the countryside I'll spray my clothes down with permethrin and wear 100% deet on any exposed skin. I suppose for a quick trip taking the pills might be an ok option, but for months taking pills isn't a very good option.

John:

I was mostly in Burkina Faso, though also briefly in Niger. The airport security person actually pulled out the bottle I had with my gold in it, but the gold was all dirty and iron stained. They asked no questions and I volunteered no information. I didn't have very much, as finding gold was not the main goal of my trip. (plus we had a language barrier as I speak only a little French). I dont think they knew what it was, but they let me though!

Elijah -

I agree that taking the medicine for months is not a great idea. However, they have made strides in the malaria medication and now have several types which work differently. So if you get it while on medication A, they can still treat you with medication B, C or D - because each type of medication is different. So there are options.