Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach (Inactive)

New Nugget Detectors (Lack Thereof)

I find it odd that gold nugget detectors are selling at absurd levels the last few years, yet there seems to be little interest in catering to the gold nugget market specifically on the part of the manufacturers. Most detector manufacturers hedge their bets by producing multipurpose detectors, and the few dedicated units undergo little change if any over time.

Fisher - I have all but given up on there being a Gold Bug 3. The Gold Bug Pro seems to be the designated successor, and no apparent interest on Fishers part on producing a more compact GB3 or better yet a version with selectable frequencies. And as of yet no PI entry at all.

Garrett - The Stinger inexplicably still lives but I do applaud Garrett releasing a capable successor, the AT Gold. Some nice out-of-box thinking on the AT units. The Infinium has always suffered by being a hybrid - be nice to see a dedicated prospecting PI with a better coil selection. The waterproof case adds unneeded weight and expense plus touchy coil and headphone connections.

Minelab - I guess I have to forgive Minelab on the PI units as the only competition they have is themselves and they have done a great job taking the PI tech to the max. What the GPX mainly needs now is a physical makeover. But the Eureka is overdue for retirement and good as the X-Terra 705 is I think Minelab could do much better with a new dedicated VLF nugget detector if they tried.

Tesoro - How long can they milk the Lobo? Add manual ground balance or at least a GB "Lock" for the automatic ground tracking. Reintroduce the uMax Diablo with iron disc added.

White's - Please put the GMT in a box made for prospecting, not coin detecting. And lose the 1980 coils.

I have wondered the very same thing Steve. It seems like every month there is some newly designed gizmo coming out (sluices, fine gold recovery stuff, highbankers, etc.) but new gold detectors only show up once in a blue moon. With the huge interest in gold the past few years you'd think the major players would be cranking new models out more frequently.

Would have to agree with your Minelab comments though. They are running the show on the PI's with no real competition, so I guess they can do what they want.

Economic viability always drives new technology and economy just starting to pick up. Many vendors for electronics,products and services have gone under  on all their suppliers lists. Even managing to keep current units parts in stock becoming a chore. Why do people always expect a shiny new model every year like cars as just a new face on same same ol'?? No matter what comes out my GB 2, TLST and antique Golden Sabre will always be in my truck as they ALL work good enough for me. Started with a self built kit from Heathkit, BFO from TandyCraft in 61 so whats out NOW is amazing,absolutely amazing. Learn to be happy with what ya have and be happy when NEW technology arrives and not just a pretty new face-John

With all due respect John expecting a new model more than once every decade or so is not expecting too much. And if I thought the units being made had no room for improvement I would keep my mouth shut.

Scorpion Gold Stinger - 1990

Gold Bug 2 - 1995

Lobo ST - 1997

GMT - 2000

Eureka Gold - 2003

I agree Steve. It would be nice to see some kind of "new" VLF machine specificaly for gold. No more hybrid coin/gold machines. I love the GB2 but it is a little out dated and time for something "new and shiny".

Amen ATF-and GB Pro are just a few of the new models -many from overseas flooding the markets too with el cheapo knockoffs galore on the net. Seen phoney minelabs,garreets and fishers too for pennies on the dollar..sic sic sic. John

About the only thing left for VLF tech is better handling of ground mineralization...

Also, Garrett sounds like they may have a new PI coming out soon !

Cheers....

Tye