Guest flintgreasewood

Latest From Cobb Prospect

Guest flintgreasewood

All you guys who are following our adventures...thanks for your support and encouragement.  When it gets tough down there I know you are pulling for us.

We had to go to town today and are working on our cabin this evening so we'll pick up on the shaft work tomorrow.  Be well.   Kurt

Kurt... I know you had a big grin when you hit that gravel! Ain't nothing like finally hitting gravel  ..... except bedrock ;) .

Can you only run one point at a time ?

Was thinking of you today. The cut I'm stripping was drifted, been digging up nice chunks of clean ice with the excavator.

Well today I ran into cut, skinned, spruce poles they used for 'tracks' to drag the windlass bucket on. Pretty neat sight.

I hope your pay in the bottom turns out to be as good as mine! I can see why they were drifting :) .

Guest flintgreasewood

Dick, the point we're using now is a length of 1/2" pipe just for veritcal ice thawing.  I made 4 five foot points that we plan to use in the gravel. The only time I've seen exposed fully cribbed drift shafts was at Doug Baker's mine outside of Manley Hot Springs.  Pretty cool view of history. 

I'm hoping we will be able to stop by your mine on our way back to Colorady in Sept.

Guest flintgreasewood

Allan Coty...if you see this post, please give me a call or write.  303-507-9502

Guest flintgreasewood

Today was kind of a milestone [seemed like a mile to get to the stone :) ] I set foot, sort of, on bed rock.  The ice is nearly all melted into a small puddle on the bottom of the shaft with about 14" of mud and gravel on the bed rock.  I took several photos while I was down repositioning the pump, ladder, steam point, and jack hammer. It was pretty cool to see the drift at one end and possibly the opposite end.  I could even see a small space between the drift ceiling and the top of the ice [not sure how that came to be when the remainder of the shaft was solid ice...maybe an air bubble?  I did have to jack hammer a bit more Ice that the steam point didn't melt.  I also couldn't help testing my hammer against the frozen gravel.  It was difficult to get a start but once got a hole going it broke up fairly nicely.  I'll do more serious testing of the hammer soon.  I did take a sample from the 3' level and hoisted it to the surface to be panned. It was barren.  Back on top I fired up the steamer and pumps and resumed the melting of the last of the ice and pumping the water out. I'm getting the hydraulic hoist system ready to go as the proper control valve is being shipped and should arrive by Monday.  I'll need it operational so I can get the mud and gravel off the bottom. Then I'll resume jack hammering the ice out of the drift[s  ]I've also been building a shelter over the shaft.  The roof will go on tomorrow and not too soon as I believe the rains will start...actually did start this evening. Stay tuned. More good stuff to come!

:D  this sure beats any of them insipid gold shows on tv as this is REAL and dangerous as ya can get. Best part is NO FRICKEN ,no chinese, black or spanish miners going apesquat over american presence. tons a au 2 u 2-John B) 

Guest flintgreasewood

For the past week I have been undually occupied with trying to get my hydraulic hoist to operate properly and a submersible pump to pump out the remaining water in the shaft.  In desperation we tried a 3/4 hp unit and it worked! Hallelujah.  The hoist seems to be chronically disfunctional and I've taken to doing my own modifications to get it running.  Hoisting I have no problem.  Lowering is another matter.  The internal brake won't release.  Since I basically will have no load in the lowering mode I'm going to try to bypass the internal brake and modulate the lowering motion with the hoist control.  Of course I'll test it thoroughly before I get down in the shaft with a bucket overhead.  I do have a small space at the bottom to duck under even when I do get down there working.  Tomorrow we head to the Minook valley for a week of prospecting.  On return we'll have about 3 days to finish mucking out the shaft before we must return to Colorado for the winter. 

Please excuse a dumb question but :o  you've gone through all that work and your leaving?? wow-cold coming or just time to go as I don't personally know ya. I could NEVER leave a hole after hittn' bedrock or did I just misunderstand? thanx much for sharing your adventures-John :D

I got to tell you, like John, I'm bummed to hear we have to wait until next season to see how this story goes.......Kind of like a TV show that ends for the season and you have to wait for the premier next season...I've really enjoyed following this post.  Safe travels home.

JR

Guest flintgreasewood

Hey, guys, I understand your disappointment at my leaving you all hanging, but believe me, it's almost killing me not to be able to get to the gold.  I do have about 3 or 4 days to get the shaft cleaned out and the drift opened enough to do some good sampling, but the way the season has gone, I'm not going to get my hopes too high.

We're not returning to Colorado just because it's getting colder or we've had enough of mining for the season.  It's a matter of MONEY...we're flat broke, credit cards maxed out, with just enough to get back home.  We had hoped we'd be paying our way by now with nuggets and coarse gold, but looks like that ain't gonna happen this year.  There's a slight chance I could get back up here for a short stint in March but most likely it will be June before the saga resumes. Hang with me and let's see what happens up to the end of the month.  Back soon.

Kurt, I totally understand the money issue....all of us prospectors can relate to the cash outlay necessary to get a project up and running. With regards to preping for the winter, what will you do to ensure the shaft stays free of additional ica and snow? I'm sure you'll cover it but will that be sufficient?

Again, thanks for the entertainment this summer, have a safe trip home and we'll look forward to catching up on your progress next year.

Guest flintgreasewood

JR and John,  Thanks for the good wishes.  JR, the shaft has a 2" foam insulation barrier that sets down about 6' below the deck.  2x4 and plywood doors make up the deck and they will be insulated with 2" foam as well.  I'll pump out all the water that's accumulated over the past two weeks and what's left will eventually freeze as winter sets in.  If I don't get the shaft cleaned out completely before leaving, it will all be there just as I left it when we return in June.  I finally gave up on my hydraulic hoist...it is too worn out and may not be repairable.  I was able to get it to run up and down today but it is much too slow especially in the lowering mode.  So I transferred the wire rope to my little electric hoist and it seemed to do ok.  I just can't control the speed, but it's not too fast so it won't jerk the bucket around.  I also had to do some adjustment on the self dumping bucket carrier.  Tomorrow I'll run the trip line up to the gin pole and set the 3" diameter steel shaft I got for the anchor down in the shaft.  Then I need to add a couple of feet of muck, moss, willow branches and gravel to my dam.  I was happy to see that what I have so far held through the recent heavy rain that hit last week.  Already I have a good size pond which sure will help for washing gravel next year.  The last thing will be to consolidate everything under shelter of tent, shed and tarp what's left and then wait for the snow to bury it all.  We'll be in Colorado by then.

So have a good winter, everyone.  Signing off from Cobb prospect.