Sign in to follow this  
Reno Chris

Corn Flake Nugget

Got out to do a bit of nugget detecting with a friend. He got a few nice nuggets and I got this golden corn flake - it weighs 3 pennyweight, or right at 4.7 grams, 0.15 ounces. It was within an inch of the surface and I thought for sure it was a bullet, but as I was looking through my sorting cup for a bullet, but found this nice nugget instead!

It was a beautiful day in the Sierra. It was a bit trashy, but hardly a dig hole to be seen anywhere (and the few seen were from my friend on his one previous visit to that location). Don't let anyone tell you everyplace with gold has been already hammered with a detector, because its just not true.

post-2-0-15034100-1372525717_thumb.jpg

Nice, Going to start swinging detector myself on some great looking ground, I also do not believe when people tell me it's a waste of time. Can I ask what detector's you fella's were using, type of ground, mineralized or what-not.

We were both using Minelab PI units as the ground was medium hot with some hot rocks. It was so shallow, and large enough that any detector would have found that nugget. In unworked areas like that there are always some easy pickings nuggets. If I went back, honestly I might use a VLF because of the trash there - lots of square nails and bits of tin. A fair number of bullets too, but you cant discriminate those.

It was an area that had been ground sluiced in the old days. 

Thanks, Chris going to start working a claim that Steve H. had back in the late 70's early 80's, I believe he dredged a bit of the creek and not sure if he detected any of the claim. { I have a P.M. out to him, hoping he has time to respond.} I am going to start with a Gold Bug 2, that and the White's GMT seem to work really well here on Kenai Penn. I believe that detecting is an art in itself, take's time on equip. and lot's of batteries ! LOL !!!!! Happy Hunting ...............