Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach (Inactive)

Hello From Chicken, Alaska

Been in and around Chicken, Alaska for over a month now, and down to the last few days. Been a great gig. Weather has been fantastic, the gold better than I hoped for, and made new friends. Best of all, I have had lots of time and so no pressure. I have had to work a little bit at just taking it easy and enjoying myself after years of deadlines. It has been a very good time.

I could in fact hang around even longer, but the reality is I am missing my wife and the weiner dogs. Time to go home, and that alone is a new life and adventure waiting. Home is now Reno so in about a week I will drive south, and start my prospecting adventures in the western US. No more hanging it up for the winter!

The fortymile district is a real interesting area and I hope to make it up there myself one of these days. Glad you enjoyed your time up there and I'll see you when you get down to the lower 48.

For those interested in the fortymile, Steve has an excellent article on the area in this month's issue of the ICMJ.

Read it yesteday along with the rest of the mag online. Chicken was already on the bucket list,but after reading Steve's article,it brought the desire to go back with a passion.Maybe I'll make it next summer.I've got a real strong feeling I just might be able to afford to make the trip by then.Thank you Steve for your penmanship on another great article.On another note Chis,I enjoyed your article on drywashing.

Steve sounds like you had a great time. We just got back for the Chicken Jack Wade area ourselves. We spent three weeks there. We found gold and met a lot of really nice people that invited us back next year to mine on their claims. My wife I should say met them on her nine mile walks down from the mine we stayed at, on Gillilion Creek,  to where we mined on the public area some days. I think she talked to you as well. She was the blonde lady with the bear spray, lol. Everyone up there was so nice to us and went out of there way to help us find gold. Our friends we stayed with were finding some gold as well at there mine but were having some equipment problems when we left. They took such good care of us while we were there. I wished I would have slowed down long enough to say high while we were there. I now know that was you I saw walking on the road a couple of times with the metal detector. Next year we want to spend the whole summer up there. Getting a better handle on the overall mining that we do.  I had my GPS 4000 with me and never fired it up. Maybe next year we can meet.  Jay

Oh Ok Steve, She said she talked to him and he gave her some pointers on how to better swing her metal detector and not fatigue herself,  It was a big help. Thanks she appreciated it a lot. We talked about buying a claim or two form Gordon but not sure what direction we want to go next summer. Just about all the people we met invited us to mine their claim next year.  If you get some free time I would like to send you a private message and get your opinion on some stuff for next year. We are going to buy a travel trailer and spend most of the summer up there for the next few summers. We Can't wait. Thanks Jay

My wife and I just booked a trip with Dean from Gold Fever Prospecting to do some dredging on the Southfork of the FortyMile in June/July.  I've had multiple conversations with him and he seems like he offers a first class operation.  Can't wait to get up there........

JR

JR...

Good for you ! Dean indeed does run a first class operation.

I know it's trouble, especially if the river is low, but if you are here for the 4th of July

try real hard to attend the Fortymile Mining Assoc annual picnic.