Sign in to follow this  
leonard

Alaska 2008

Some of you oldtimers may have seen this but for the newbies, here's a little video of my 2008 trip to alaska.

First, my trip from Fairbanks to Nome.

http://golddredgervideo.com/alaska2008/nomebeach.wmv

Now the reality of camping on the east beach.

http://golddredgervideo.com/alaska2008/tentfever.wmv

The reality of returning to the wilds of Alaska to near Euerka.

http://golddredgervideo.com/alaska2008/2008part3.wmv

Finaly some of what actually can be found if you have the right operation. This is the results of 8 hours of trommel operation..

http://golddredgervideo.com/alaska2008/cleanupmusicvideo.wmv

Leonard

http://golddredgervideo.com

Leonard -

Did you ever get to do any real prospecting or were you just stuck, sitting in a tent or other location watching it rain?

I've really lucked out on good weather on my 2 prospecting trips to Alaska.

Chris

The weather was pretty crappy the 9 days we were there. We pretty much stayed in the tent, the library, or the visiters center. We did get a neat tour of the Nome Power Generating center. Both the old one and the new one.

We only saw one operation working the whole time we were there and is was drawing water from a small creek instead of the ocean. Nothing was ocean bound as it was way too rough to keep a footvalve in the surf. We did get a little slucing done as shown in one of the videos. We brought back a little Nome beach gold and after getting back and recovering, decided that we had had a great time. There was a long story as to why we were stuck on the beach but I've never written it. If you don't have the proper preparations made before going, it can be a very difficult time and this was before the big rush up there. We couldn't get a hotel room, a rental car, or atv. Money wasn't an object, they just weren't available.

Leonard

What time of year were you there that the weather was so bad? Or was that just an unfortunate coincidence? I know they have bad weather during the summer, but thats a long time to be holed up.

In my two trips to AK, 2 weeks last year and one week in 2007, I probably only lost about 4 hours prospecting time to bad weather.

Sounds like a great story for the ICMJ and a warning for anyone who wants to make a trip to Nome without the full arrangements for a car and hotel room, etc. If it was that bad in 2008, I can only imagine what its like now! .

Guest Bob(AK)

We never get tired of your videos Leonard. I have not been to Nome, but have sat in that same chair up

Minook Creek with rain on the roof.

Chris, you luck out with the weather and Leonard did not. One never knows, some come to Alaska and never see a drop of rain, others may never see the sun. Over the last 10 years or so seems best weather is May ans June. This year no one is complaining, been tropical and very dry for 10 weeks. Seems to be changing though. I was dredging all day and looked like rain but did nothing. Did get a bit of gold but the nice nuggets have eluded me so far this year, Bob

Welcome to AK-1 year great weather and the next ungodly but at least GO/Grivy had enough libations to slog through it all. That's why I like Leonards cds soooooooooo much-no pontifications just REAL stark reality of a experience be it AK,CO,WY or the CCC in action-John

We never get tired of your videos Leonard. I have not been to Nome, but have sat in that same chair up

Minook Creek with rain on the roof.

You may not have heard the "whole" story on the chair. It's best not told in a public forum. I was there the day we "bought" it at the Manley Mall. I spent 4 weeks there and sampled a lot of Makers Mark whiskey in it. 

The first year I went up was in 2006. I arrived in Fairbanks at 1:00am. I think thats the only hour any plane lands in Fairbanks. My hosts picked me up and we headed out into the wilds. Only after we got there did I discover my hosts didn't drink. Not a drop. Nothing had been open so early in the morning so I was going to have to do it cold turkey instead of wild turkey. After a couple of days of my whinning, Mark took me over to Lester's and got me a bottle of Makers Mark out of Lester's private stash. The first time we went to Manley I replaced it and Lester was none the wiser.

I went up for a month 3 years in a row. The last year was the Nome one.

Leonard

Leonard

"What time of year were you there that the weather was so bad? Or was that just an unfortunate coincidence? I know they have bad weather during the summer, but thats a long time to be holed up"

The year was 2008 and we arrived about July 7th. On the 4th we were told that it was about 80 in Nome and there had been girls in bikini's in the surf. It started raining the afternoon we got there as we were setting up the tent and didn't stop for the 9 days we were there. After 9 days we left and I returned back to Minook Creek. After a little over a week of rain there I went back to Fairbanks and stayed at the hostel for 2 days before I returned to Colorado. I met quite a few people from Europe at the hostel and they said they were coming back from the interior and it had rained continuously there also.

The pictures of the commercial operation, http://golddredgervideo.com/alaska2008/cleanupmusicvideo.wmv were taken the 1st of July.and the weather was great. It turned to crap when we got to Nome.

Leonard

Wow! I guess I really was lucky.

I hope to be there again, dont know exactly when yet (not this year of course).

I guess I'll be better prepared for long term rain.

Leonard - I also second the motion that we enjoy your videos. Always fun to look at. Sorry you got stuck with the crummy weather.

That is basically what happened in the Fortymile the last couple summers. Rain all summer long. Thankfully for me it went back to more favorable weather this summer. A couple weeks of solid rain is not unusual in most of Alaska and in southeast rain is actually more the norm than not.

Anchorage ties record for consecutive rainy days

Published: August 13, 2010 By JAMES HALPIN Anchorage Daily News

WHEN WILL IT END?: Dubious honor just adds to the gloominess of summer.

Anchorage tied its record Friday for most consecutive days with at least a trace of rainfall, according to the National Weather Service. As of 4 p.m., the service had recorded .02 inches at its station in Sand Lake -- enough to tally the 27th consecutive day with at least a trace of precipitation, said forecaster Neil Murakami. That ties the record set in 1951, according to the weather service. The weather service was calling for showers tapering off to cloudy skies overnight, so it wasn't known if the record would be broken Saturday.

I was near Euerka for a month in 2006 and 2007. Both trips had a little rain in the 30 days but for the most part were bright and sunny. The rain would consist mainly of an afternoon thunderstorm. It was just enought to keep the Rampart trail muddy.  The weather in the video was pretty typical of hte 30 days.

http://golddredgervideo.com/prospecting/alaska/atvmusicvideo.wmv

Leonard

Hi Leonard,

I just spent a few hrs watching your videos. Wish there was more. Makes a fellar want to just sit on the porch of that freshly build log cabin and dream of playing in those creeks!! No street lights or sky scrapers!! Great stuff. Just joined so it will take me alittle bit to get video and picture savvy on this forum. If interested for any of you I do have a few videos on Youtube, just type in goldminerjay thanx