Okay, so your planning on doing a 1099 on everybody so let me rephrase my question.  How many contractors do you foresee needing to accomplish your goals for the coming season?----K Rose

Geo / Rod / K-Rose / Stan,

Just a suggestion guys but from an outside observers perspective, given that we all have a love for Mining and we all seek to learn more about Placer Mining generally, if it were me and I wasn't so busy on my own Project, I would be asking Geowizard if he would consider allowing me to come up to Ophir and spend a month or two On-Site just helping out to gain some valuable practical experience. And I would not expect to be paid either, although the provision of Food and Board would be a welcome trade-off. These Contractors etc. wanting $1,000.00 / Day to go bush need to take a reality check and stay in their cosy day Jobs. Most Placer Jobs can't afford to throw that type of money around. 

There seems to be some concern also from an Owner's point of view about Liability. Understandably, that is a big consideration these days, however, there could also be a mutually-agreeable position by way of Disclaimer for example which could reduce or remove any potential Liability stemming from Illness or Injury whilst " Guests / Visitors " are helping out on Site.    

MSHA shouldn't be a problem yet either. The size and scope of the Job, based on those Volumes, is still ( with all due respect of course ) nothing more than a Bulk-Sample Program which is still part of the ongoing Exploration process. Bottom line is that MSHA doesn't want to know about it until it becomes a Full-Scale Production Operation. I had the same issue last year when I applied for a Mine I.D. and they basically told me to go away and come back once I start Full-Blown Production. That's not to say that common sense shouldn't be applied. Pre-Start Inspections, Operator Training, Emergency Evacuation Procedures, etc. etc. would still be good practice.   

Clearly the above-mentioned Economics are not ideal but as we so often have to admit, " It is what it is ". Minus the Labor component, the Machinery costs about $8,000.00 / Week to run both Machines on a single shift.  I probably wouldn't run a double shift until I had the single shift running like a clock, but what can be done to increase through-put is to do what we do at Work and have a 3rd. Operator ( Yourself for example Geowizard ) " Hot Seat " either Machine to give the Operator's regular extended breaks. This could push out your standard single shift Operation to 15 or 16 Hours, depending of course on how smoothly everything runs.   

The other issue that seems obvious and which you actually mentioned needs to be looked at is moving your Washplant to the Pay / Tailings. It appears by the above numbers that given how marginal the Production is, it wouldn't take much to push things in to the red. At the same time, if the expected Grade of between .01 to .025 Oz / CuYd comes in at the lower end of the scale, whilst your numbers are assuming 5 Oz. / 100 Yrds. which is closer to the higher end of the scale, then suddenly the whole Operation becomes a loss-making exercise. If it was me, I wouldn't even bother running the Machinery the 1,000 ft. back and forward. It's the cost of Fuel etc. + wear and tear on man and Machine for what could well be a break-even proposal. i.e. It could in fact be cheaper NOT to even start the Machinery.       

By all means there will be a positive outcome and we look forward to following this Thread for years to come. Good Luck.                     

Thanks Geo.  In addition to being a miner you must be a mind reader too.  You are answering my questions before I can type them........ ;)

As difficult as it probably is to keep equipment operating in the Ophir environment, I imagine keeping your crew operating efficiently is the bigger challenge.

Thanks Geo, and yes I have been on here since the forum started and also on the old AMDS forum for a while, but I rarely post. 

I have followed your posts on both forums with great interest,  (I don't want to sound like a Geowizard-groupie..lol).  :)

I find that your sharing of important self-taught skills (such as interpreting Alaska Mag Surveys) are well described in your posts and have provided me a wealth of knowledge.  You seem to not mind being that open, knowing full well that the information you share could be profited from by others.  I applaud you for that.

I think (and hope) you are very near to realizing a great personal achievement from your multi-year endeavor.  I for one am looking forward to reading about your activities and discoveries during 2014 mining season. 

As a side question that is perhaps better for your Geophysics thread, In your study of the Alaska Mag Surveys (and others), is there any additional and achievable data that could be incorporated into the surveys, or do you find them adequate. 

Thanks again

That's not exactly as I had it pictured in my mind.  So thanks for the photo.  I visited a historic mine near the Cle Elum River in WA a couple of weeks ago.  I had been there about a year ago and accidently (slipped) found a piece of ore in the tailings pile with visible gold.  The pile is very steep and covered with moss and  evergreen needles.  Very slippery.  I found more ore this trip and would like to spend some more time over there but I am off to AZ tomorrow.   It is difficult to imagine the extent of the tailings at Ophir you plan to work.