Chuck,

Your operation looks very similar to one on which I worked near Eureka [25 miles from Manley H.S.]  We had similar tailings piles and nozzled them down with a Giant onto a large slick plate at the head of a sluice box.  Of course it took a 6" pump to supply the Giant.  Have you ever considered hydraulicing?

Hi Geowizard,

Have you been able to find pretty consistent values through out a given tailing pile? or is it better at the top?  I think I read some where, maybe in the USGS reports, that Ophir had been worked a second time.  Not sure if this means the tailings piles or if it means that major parts of the bed rock have been re-worked a second time.  

One would tend to theorize that the bedrock might be good to sample as the dragline/dozer couldn't exert much downward pressure (as you have noted in previous posts).  I assume that the original bedrock channels are not covered by much overburden as I don't think the early miners did much reclaiming (I could be wrong).

I only just spotted this thread, and just spent several hours reading it! You certainly would make a great writer Geowizard.

It was very interesting to hear about all the difficulties you've had to overcome. That style of alluvial mining is basically extinct in Australia mainly due to environmental issues. Most of the mining I do is in the desert, but I do love getting out the highbanker and playing in the water when I get a chance.

Good luck with next year.

I was wondering how you correlated the "feed the family" proof of concept with the fact that the 2014 season at Ophir was a financial bust. I saw it as a very accurate showing of how feeding ones family on a small mining operation is not possible without plenty of capital to see one though non productive seasons, equipment breakdowns, legal problems, etc. It is almost a requirement for folks doing this that they have other sources of income to feed themselves in the difficult times. My recollection is that 2014 was your second year, so the current record is one that shows 50% of the years are a financial bust.

Hi Geo,

I am rooting for your success! 

Do you think having a little higher capacity wash plant, say 40 or 50 yds/hr would make a big difference?  IF not, what one or two things do you think contributed the most towards losses?

I am just looking to educate myself better.

Thanks!