Sign in to follow this  
mikey7813

Anybody Remember

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody remembers a gold assay kit that was sold that used a full size microscope to do the assay. I remember seeing this in the icmj between 5 and 7 years ago. All I do remember is that the material could be panned in the field and the concentrates could be examined in the field with a full size microscope and that it came with a booklet explaining how to do the test.

In this type of assay, you estimate the size of the assay bead under the microscope and then calculate the weight of the bead, rather than weigh it. A cheap measuring microscope is a lot cheaper than a good weigh scale. The problem is that the visual assay are very inaccurate, They are rough and dirty estimates, and no commercial mining company will accept them as meaning anything. It just depends on what reason you are doing an assay. If real rough and dirty is OK, and accuracy not important and you will never be asking a mining company to lease the property and explore it, then it might be OK.

Mike I do not know anything about that kit.

Thread drift:

When the neighbour was "proving-up" his placer claims for patent, the BLM boys had cards with graduated sizes of gold on them. They would take measured amounts of gravel (5 gallon bucket), pan it down, and compare the gold pieces to the ones on their card to estimate weight. No weighing was done. Of course to an old Swede, that wasn't the way it should be done. You must weigh everything. After losing a couple bets to the BLM boys, that old Swede carried a card with graduated gold specks himself. I guess once you got beyond the microscope size, rough and dirty came pretty close to weighed out with an experienced hand.

In the process of evaluating a placer gold deposit, there is a variable involved related to the purity of the gold. So, even if the weight of the gold can be measured exactly, the purity could vary between 600 and 999 fine.

- Geowizard