roirat76

Camp Ground Closed

I would ask the Forest Service this question but I'm not sure if I would get a truthful answer. So, we were driving through a NF ( Lassen in CA ) and we had to stop so the dogs could take a pee break. We pulled in to a turnoff for a campground to get off the main road. The campground was still closed for the winter, had a locked gate. There was a nice little river running by the campground and not much snow on the ground making it easy to get to the river. My question is even though the campground is closed ( no camping ) can I step over the locked gate and walk over to the river to do some panning or sluicing? Just because the Camp is closed off is the river also closed? This question is also for anyone in  OR. I was at the Sixes campground, same thing, camp closed but is it still legal to go in and prospect? Just trying to keep myself out of trouble. 

one way to find out, call them and ask if it is ok! that way youll know for sure. the FS sometimes give different answers  when asking different fs people a question. its best to ask at their HQ.

Like what has already been said, it is ultimately up to the local ranger district. Now from my personal knowledge, the gates are closed to keep vehicles out of that area until its reopened for the summer or in some cases closed permanently. Whatever the case, unless it is an archeological site or protected plant area....which should be identified, it is open to prospecting in accordance to surface management and state regulations.

Additionally if you're not familiar with it already, anytime you'll be on USFS land stop at a ranger district office and pick up a motor vehicle use map. The travel management plans have been implemented and not all roads are clearly identified.

Hope this helps

Thanks gang! I guess I'll just have to ask the local FS station or Ranger if I can find one quickly. I don't know about you guys/gals but my pans and sluice and detector are always in the back of the truck ready to go. When you got the gold fever and you are out and about any stream/river starts calling me and I just want to pull over right there and start to prospect for that yeller stuff. Gold Fever once you got it you got it forever! 

Agreed Geowizard! Let me make myself clear. I don't want to dig up or use the campground I just want to cross through it to get to the stream / river to do some panning or sluicing. I also have seen the trash and holes left by those who don't care about anyone else. And with the powers that be pushing UN Agenda 21, any excuse to close off our forest and rivers to us is jumped on pretty fast!   

I agree, Those areas are my winter targets  :lol:  So I have to research them more this summer and find that the laws are changing at the same times, so who knows what will be valid information by then. Might just end up Detecting in Nevada for the winter!

I just can't wait to get out there man and start doing it, I can research all I want but it doesnt count for shit as much as real experience, I really appreciate all your knowledge man and I hope I can put it all to good use this summer and really find something! I am trying to make this my career as well. I dont know if its against the rules, so i wont post my website but id love for you to take a look at it! and id love to link to your guys page on my site as well.