Sign in to follow this  
flintgreasewood

Hydraulic Hoist Operation

I just purchased an 8 ton hydraulic cable hoist.  It is overkill for my needs but it I got it for a ridiculously

low price so I went with it.   I now have an operating system that has a max gpm of 7 at 3000 psi.  The max gpm for the new hoist is 35 at 3000 psi.  Since I will be hoisting a max load of 1000lbs. at a line speed of about 1/2 the max rate for the hoist, will my low volume system handle the job?

Kurt,

The operating pressure controls lift. Depending on the reduction, 1000 pounds per square inch of pressure might equate to 1000 pounds of lift. The variables are unknown unless the winch has a specified lift per specified psi. You have 8000 pounds of lift with 3000 psi. So, 1000 pounds of lift can be attained with 1/8th of the pressure = 375 psi.

As far as speed (rpm) of the winch goes, if it is specified at 35 gpm for a given rpm, then you run at 7 gpm, the rpm is reduced to 7/35 = 1/5 = 20 percent of the normal rpm. Line speed naturally changes with the diameter of the spool of cable on the winch.

- Geowizard

Kurt,

Precisely!  The pump does the work. Bigger pump, more work gets done!

Might consider more HP. That's your power source. A good hydraulic power pack and you aren't far from a drill too! There are drill packages that fit on Bobcats, augers, etc. that can be attached to quick connects.

Good luck!

-Geowizard

Kurt,

I might also add; as you are probably already aware... winches come in many different flavors and the thing to watch for is winches that are not designed for vertical lift.

A right angle drive is preferred because it won't unspool if there is a loss of hydraulics or (electric power in the case of an electric winch).

Nobody wants to be at the bottom of a hole with 1000 pounds of rock in free fall.

- Geowizard

Chuck,

You may notice I have not mentioned the word "winch".  I have a true hoist.  It is a Kinematics which is very similar to the Pullmaster line of hoists.  I is an equal speed in both directions hoist with built in braking to keep it from losing a load.  It also has a significantly faster line speed than a winch, which, for my needs, is crucial.  I have to hoist out of the shaft 65' and then up the highline to the gin pole another 55'.  I don't want to wait all day for a trip to complete. :)

It appears that my 16hp engine is going to be sufficient to run a much larger pump than I am currently using.  Last year I bought a multi stage hydraulic motor that I will probably turn into a pump, which does work...just can't turn a pump into a motor.