Sign in to follow this  
bearcreek

Placer Mining: What Trommel Barrel Design Really Works Best?

Most alluvial gravel is easy to scrub, the real secret is to use the weight of the gravel to scrub the gravel. As you can see here at around 75 yards per hr, with a 5 ft diameter screen 25 ft long you will get a good scrub.

The 1 inch water spray bars pushes a lot of water through the media creating a very good liberating scrubbing action.

Using an excavator to feed with is usually the most long term productive way of introducing material to the washing system. The first 6 or 8 ft of blank barrel helps wet, distribute irregular sand and gravels to your screens and recovery system be it simple sluices, jigs, or any other type of gravity recovery system.

Read the entire blog post http://goldtowner.blogspot.com/2014/01/this-is-what-inside-of-trommel-barrel.html

I'll share how our trommel is built. It's a 14' x 42" barrel with four 1 1/2" angle iron running nearly the entire length of the barrel. Water is supplied by a 2" pipe the entire length of the barrel. The trommel material is screened to 1" from 4" at the beginning of the barrel. The screen section is approx 48", though I can't remember exactly.

With that said, our testing last fall showed that some improvements could, should and will be made. For example we adjusted the wash pipe a quarter turn to spray higher up the leading edge of the material in the barrel. Another modification will be to cut the lifters and offset the second half. Currently the water wants to rush right down them when the barrel is low on material. It still needs some work as I've said but its a start.