Sign in to follow this  
outnaboutnak

Fuel Storage And Liners

Im wondering what to use, and where to buy, a liner for overflow under fuel storage on the claim.  Fuel would be in regular size drums or even one large tank, but I would like a spill liner underneath it all.  I was thinking of building it on a large skid, though a trailer would make it easier to move.  Any ideas?

Why does the liner need to move? Are you not setting up a stationary fuel storage area?

I've seen a lot of fuel storage liners and most are built of a sturdy plastic liner inside a bermed area of mounded earth. Its cheap, easy and it works.

Sliding a skid mounted unit over the top of a plastic liner would be pointless because of rips and tears. Building a durable liquid tight liner of concrete is a lot of work in remote AK.

The problem with liners is that they collect rainwater, there is usually at least a little fuel present from loading, disconnecting hoses, etc. and you add rainwater, then you have fuel contaminated rainwater. If you have long dry periods in which all the water can evaporate like here in Nevada, that may be OK. If you have loads of continual small rainstorms with no evaporation (like lots of AK) - you collect a lot of contaminated water that can become a problem. 

I didnt consider rainwater.  I certainly dont want a mix of fuel and water overflowing or leaking onto the ground.  I envisioned it on skids or trailer to be a ble to move it around our site and since I dont have a fuel truck, being able to take the fuel to the equipment instead of the other way around seemed easier.  I may rethink this.  Maybe a permanent station set up, in ground like you say, with a roof or other cover over it.  Then transfer fuel in smaller drums.  

outnabout....

How much fuel are you considering storing?  If I recall mobile fueling did not require containment.

Alaska Tent & Tarp has material for containment liners. Be prepared for a shock!

If it was me I would buy a cheap old 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 pickup and make it your fuel- oiler rig. You could put a liner in the bed of the truck if you thought you needed one and even have a roof over it if you wanted. It is REALLY handy to be able to take the fuel,greese,air, ect. to the machine and work site. If the truck is left on site than it would not need to be licensed or road legal. Just a beater will do.  I don't know if this would work for your operation but I have seen it work  well at other job sites,

Its my understanding that fuel stored in quantitys less than 1250 gallons do not need secondary containment, and yes fuel on wheels do not need any secondary containment either..

Guys - Here is my current / temporary Fuel Storage and Transport and what the MLUP ( APMA ) said about it. Capacity is 750 Gallons. Sorry about the quality of the Text in the attachment. I'm still learning about Scanning and Posting photos, Drawings etc. 

Does anybody have a good understanding of the EPA Emergency Spill Response Regulations ? Just to cover myself, I will use Berms and a Liner anyway. To move Fuel around the Claims where a 4 x 4 won't go, we will Transfer to 30 Gallon Drums sitting on the back of Tandem-Axle ATV Carts. 

post-14604-0-90434300-1364988457_thumb.jpg

post-14604-0-45064900-1364988808_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Good luck with the SPCC understanding!  EPA requirements for secondary containment are 660 gallons in a single container or 1320 gallons aggregate.

It was my understanding you do not need to comply with SPCC regs if fuel storage is under 1320 gallons aggregate and you don't need a SPCC Plan unless you are storing over 10,000 gallons!

As always, different agencies seem to interpret the regulations in their own way.

Steve 62-good on ya bud as when you meet and or exceed the requirements your life is soooooooooo much easier. Fuel resistant liners are ez to find but not familiar with  AK as tougher. Fuel  content+ 4" of rain per gallon  used to be EPA requirement for containment but it all changes sooo fast. Tons a au 2 u 2 for trying man-John

Guest Elijah Withers

In construction we just use double walled tanks then you don't need the containment.

Elijah - Great idea ! If only I could find a construction Company who would offer to pay for a nice new double-walled Tank for my Placer Job. That's why most of us don't have double-walled Tanks and opt instead for single-wall with secondary containment. We have to pay for everything out of our own pockets. Just as a matter of interest, what did you buy yourself for your own Job ?  

Guest Elijah Withers

Construction is a for profit business just like a mining operation. We have to deal with plenty of inspections, so I thought my comment might be helpful. You want the absolute cheapest containment bro? Go buy a baby pool and set your drums inside it. No need for the snide comments though. I was merely trying to be helpful.