Sign in to follow this  
Dan H

Need Help Identifying Who Built This Trommel

post-9851-0-27865500-1364537575_thumb.jpg

I acquired this trommel today and I need help identifying it so that I can restore it to it's original showroom condition, It was last used during the last depression on the White River California making the 2 owners about $2.00 per day., Then it was used as yard art for the next 40 years and then purchased from the widowed owner and moved to another yard art location for the next 20+ years, until earlier today when I acquired it.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Muley

The engine is a "Hit and Miss"  either 1.5 or 2 h.p. Fairbanks Morse "Z" Style "D", and the water pump is also a Fairbanks Morse, The speed reducer I can't tell, so I'm wondering if Fairbanks-Morse made mining equipment? Everything is run off the motor via 2" flat belts.

Chris, Thank you

Interesting design. I take it the trommel has a drum inside the drum ? Never seen anything quite like it except for some contraptions

built for amalgamation purposes.

Fairbanks-Morse made lots of engines and pumps but not aware of any mining equipment.

Chickenminer, I like your suggestion about it being a amalgamator, because what left of the recovery has the riffles bent and formed out of a single sheet of metal. Also the main feed hopper is very small, like it was made to be feed with a conveyor.

post-9851-0-88710100-1364950038_thumb.jpg

post-9851-0-30296500-1364950055_thumb.jpg

Muley,

After seeing the inside shots I'd have to say it looks like just a unique designed regular trommel.

Thanks for posting the photos. Hopefully someone will pop in and say "hey, thats a ....... "

Hi guys

Dan H, I saw a picture of a similar machine in a book called "Operating Small Gold Placers" second edit.1920

The G-B Placer Machine, introduced in 1931 by the Mine And Smelter Supply Company of Denver CO.

There where a couple models of the machine, it used a riffle pan that oscillated from side to side.

Denver Equipment Company of Denver CO. made some gold machines too, like the Denver Mechanical Gold Pan.

All the best whith your resto.