Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sweapon

Dry Tailings Properties

Guest Sweapon

Hello

Good day to all, im beginning my master research project about dry / filtered tailings, anyone knows where can i get information about mechanical and basic properties of tailings (eg: friction angle, weight, bearing capacities, etc.) .

Im using this for alternate uses in infrastructure

Thanks in advance

Sweapon,

Mine tailings represent an opportunity for "value added" materials for infrastructure i.e. road bed, rail, ballast and road building.

The challenge is to find mine tailings that meet the specification of the end user. Mining is done for various reasons. Depending on the commodity that is sought after, it might range from phosphates to precious metals. The rock material may be granite or related igneous rock that was the host rock for gold or it may be sedimentary rock that contains other commodities like uranium.

There-in lies the problem. Many materials that are mined contain in close association, hazardous materials. So, apart from the question of "basic" rock characteristics in terms of hardness, compaction and  weight bearing properties are the issues with contamination of infrastructure with potentially harmful or toxic minerals.

- Geowizard