Sign in to follow this  
Ken Byers

Proline Or Keene Pumps

I have used both pumps on dual 6.5 Hondas 6" dredges. From what I have seen the Prolines volume is better, and water in the box runs smoother, with a little loss of suction at the nozzle. Keene has a little better suction but I get class 5 whitecaps in the box at the same rpm. Jeff is pretty proud of his pumps but fill the action of water in the box is worth it. Am I the only one to ever notice this? Chime in if you have more to add.

Thanks

Ken

If im not mistaken, the proline pumps are the highest rated gpm output pumps of all of em.

At 360gpm proline pumps are just above the D&K nugget dk350 pump,rated for 350gpm.Last you would have Keene with the p180's at 310gpm.

I have used all of them quite a bit and I do lean towards the proline pumps.In my opinion they seem to be a smother running pump.All of them did work great though.No problems to report and haven't lost a seal in any of them.I will however replace them all before this season.Best of luck to you.

Proline=360gmp max

D&k Nugget=350gpm max

Keene=310gmp max

Kind of an old thread but it's a good topic.  I'm not sure you can go by the pump manufacturer's claimed maximum flow.  The flow from a pump is associated with a discharge pressure and just publishing a maximum flow without also including the associated pressure doesn't tell us much.  For example, a pump putting out 360 GPM at say 35 psi is not necessarily better for a particular dredge than a pump putting out 310 GPM at 40 psi.  I'm just making those numbers up but I think you get the point.  The pressure is equally as important as the flow, otherwise we could happily use inexpensive trash pumps on our dredges.

Pump manufacturers publish a certified pump curve with each pump, showing what the  flow and associated discharge pressure are at each point on the curve.  I haven't seen any performance curves from Keene or Proline, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

If im not mistaken, the proline pumps are the highest rated gpm output pumps of all of em.

At 360gpm proline pumps are just above the D&K nugget dk350 pump,rated for 350gpm.Last you would have Keene with the p180's at 310gpm.

I have used all of them quite a bit and I do lean towards the proline pumps.In my opinion they seem to be a smother running pump.All of them did work great though.No problems to report and haven't lost a seal in any of them.I will however replace them all before this season.Best of luck to you.

Proline=360gmp max

D&k Nugget=350gpm max

Keene=310gmp max

I'll add a little to this old thread.  I think specific equipment comparisons like this is important info.  I will compare the HP400 and the DK350.

I have used the 6.5 Honda with the Proline HP400 pump for many years - for both a 4" floating dredge as well as a 4" dry-land dredge on legs.  A dry-land setup with suction nozzle requires more "power" to dredge than a floating dredge setup with a power jet.  Because of this, I usually have to hook up two pumps to effectively run a dry-land dredge, where I only have to run one pump to dredge with a floater.  Part of the reason for this difference is the use of a hydraulic blaster with the dry-land setup as well as the long lengths of high pressure hoses.

A couple years ago, I wanted to get an extra pump.  The Proline 400 is getting to be pretty expensive, so I thought I'd save a little $$ and I went with the DK Nugget 350.   The DK is nice quality and looks to use 6 vanes while the Proline uses 5.  The DK has a threaded intake for a 2.5" foot valve, while the Proline has a slip-on intake for a 3" foot valve.  I think I prefer a slip-on fit because it's one less, heavy fitting.  

Both pumps bolt together differently and the DK requires a spacer to be inserted on the pump output shaft.

I can say that the HP400 puts out more volume and pressure than the DK350.  I have switched the two around while running my two-pump setup (both with Honda 6.5) and the difference is noticeable.  Both good pumps, but the HP400 has more "power".  I would bet that the HP350 and DK350 are more evenly matched.

I have worked with guys that run the Keene P180.  It seems to do the job, but I can't make this same apple-to-apple comparison with the Keene.  

One thing I would note is that the 3" intake on the HP400 seems to make the difference in performance.  The P180 is only 2.5" intake, from what I recall.