Chuck

Ca Fires & Hydrated

I have found what appears to be a central resource concerning California Fires.

California Fire News - http://calfire.blogspot.com/

Also keep in mind CA weather forecast has been and is expected to more than a bit hot. To ensure your safety, please make certain you are well hydrated before prospecting out in the heat and you maintain your fluid intake during your prospecting efforts. If you are on sugar, salt, or fluid restricted diet, or take prescription medications, check with your healthcare provided for the best strategy for hot weather hydration for you.

Remember the 5 P's: Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Prospecting

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Chuck

KG6SYX

:)

Having spent my life in the desert of Eastern Oregon and Arizona, I would add the following advice;

I read an article about a woman that fell ill and died while walking the trail down into the Grand Canyon. She had been drinking bottled water. The problem with drinking bottled water is that "pure" bottled water rinses one's body of electrolytes. If you flush electrolytes, you will become confused, disoriented, dizzy and possibly worse.

When I was in Basic training, we were required to march for miles in the hot, humid San Antonio sun. The drill Sergeant made everyone take a salt pill before commencing the march.

Why?

Salt provides electrolytes. So, also consider your electrolyte levels and yes, against everything everyone says, add salt to your diet or drink beverages that replenish electrolytes! :)

- Geowizard

I've heard just enough feedback over time about what to do and what not to that I tell folks to discuss this issue with their doctor. This last weekend I was at the ARRL Southwestern Division Convention (Ham Radio thing) in San Diego and one of the presentations about heat related safety said salt was old school thing. The suggestions about what to drink include any available sports drinks such as gatorade, power aid and so on along with a well balanced diet. They went on to say avoid soda, coffee, iced tea, energy drinks and alcoholic beverages which can force your body to eliminate fluids and lead to dehydration. 

Salt provides sodium. Thermotabs and a long list of other related products do the same thing as Gatorade. Sodium and Potassium in any form - Gatorade has sodium and potassium and it works. It's the same thing either way. A pinch of salt does little harm even in a sodium restricted diet when it is replenishing sodium deficiency. The issue in heat prostration is heat and secondary to getting out of the heat is getting electrolytes back in balance. Keeping them in balance beforehand is the common sense approach. Electrolyte deficiency from sweating can happen anytime a person is perspiring from exertion. Urination passes electrolytes from the body too. So, the intake should be proportional. A pinch of salt is low cost and usually always available around the camp. Gatorade gets a little expensive at $2.00 for a bottle. :) 

- Geowizard