Lance R

Prospecting Partner Needed

I can do this full time as I am retired and am looking for others in the same catagory. My problem is I need a partner or partners who can spend the time in the field necessary to find gold. I've been prospecting for 3+ years and have most all equipment needed for prospecting. I have a 4x4 truck and cabover camper. My setup is 100% self contained including solar powered sluice box. I'm in the Santa Cruz, California area. I usually head to the desert in the winter months and Sierras in the rest of the time. I'd prefer someone with more experience than I have in need of a honest hardworking associate. dane at cruzio dot com.

Lance,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Prospecting is a fun way to spend retirement. Having spent many years prospecting and holding down a regular job, I can now identify with you on the freedom of retirement. Vetting a potential partner is serious business as you probably already understand.

For some reason and it's probably just my luck, but most of the partners I have had knew more about mining than I did. If we took my rig, and they wanted to take a left turn and I went right, they curled up in the fetal position and stated sucking their thumb. If we took their rig, we took the trail they wanted to and didn't return home until they were ready to call it a day. My wife has been by best prospecting partner. She's along for the ride and taken a lot of bouncing around on old dusty roads.

Good luck!

- Geowizard

Maybe consider joining a few of the mining clubs in your area - even the goldhounds in Auburn (which is  a ways, but not too long). Lots of time you can meet in clubs folks of a like mind and you can get a chance to spend a little time with them (and they with you) at a club get together before you go out in the field.

The ICMJ has a list of clubs for California here on our website, so take a look at it.

Reno is right about recommending mining clubs. There are a number of claims in and around the southern Cal desert and the folks who hold these claim can get a bit aggressive with un-invited guests.

The GPAA has a number of claims in southern Cal that you can work to your hearts content without any difficulties. The catch is you must be GPAA member or working the GPAA claim with a GPAA member. Also GPAA maintains a list of prospecting clubs across the nation making fairly easy to fine a club in your area.

Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) - http://www.goldprospectors.org/

Also keep in mind cell phones in some areas are at best spotty or no reception at all. Some folks like CB or GRMS radios which are ok when prospecting with a group but not so ok when prospecting alone. I have a ham radio which pretty much answer the mail 95% of the time should I or others need help. And since Feb. 2007 Morse Code is no longer required.

Best of Luck

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Chuck

KG6SYX

:)

Thanks for the advice guys. I am a 3 year GPAA member but have not had much luck by myself at the GPAA claims. Most of the claims have been worked pretty hard or maybe I'm doing it wrong.  I did try to join a San Jose club listed in the in the GPAA magazine which is the closest, but never got any replies from the email account listed. I will be trying to contact some listed here in the ICMJ, thanks for the tip. 

I don't have a claim, but I want to get out and try to find spots that haven't been worked so hard and as such are harder to get to. I found one called Indian Creek and it looks promising as far as how hard it's been worked. I think I need a more experienced partner to point out what I'm doing wrong or missing. I'm retired and the friends who want to go search still have M-F jobs and that just doesn't leave enough time to do much exploring on weekends.

I know it's out there cause you guys keep posting pictures of it!  :P

Go on the outings - all these clubs have get togethers to go prospecting. Then you can meet some folks. Its possible you could meet someone already on the claim if you go alone. However on the club outings, there are lots of folks to meet.