Guest ERNEST F

Best matting riffle combination for fine gold

i tossed my miners moss after John "Hoser" showed me the Veranda carpet and how it works better than the MM i had. i now use it in my over/under 4 inch dredge and retrofitted a Highbanker with it.i used it on my friends claime on the Arkansa River 2 years ago and im sold on it now!

I could use a little help here guys, I just picked up a custom built 3" suction dredge and the MM it has is pretty old and shot out. I'm looking at replacing it. The riffle overlays seem just fine so I'm not worried about those, but I am curious what do you all think would be a good replacement for a 4'x12" box on a 3" dredge where the primary locations I will be using it is in SC/GA (and sometimes in NC) so black sands, some clay and fine silt, and blonde sands. What I see the most is the black sands, about a 3 or 4 to 1 ration from black to blonde.

The mix would be about 5-15% silt, 5-15% clay, 25-55% black, 10-30% blonde, then 5%-35% mix of everything else (rock, gold etc.) is kind of a rough estimated breakdown for y'all.

Based on that, and the size of my box and the fact its a 3" suction dredge what do you think would be the best (in your opinion) matting that I should look into? As of right now its some old MM that covers about 75-80% of the box from the end up, but at the last 20-25% where the material inlet is there is nothing there, its just bare sluice metal. Could really use some help on how to setup and adjust this to catch the fines and chunky gold that comes out of the rivers in South Carolina AND out of the Dahlonega area of GA as I have just finished a mineral rights lease of 55 acres there that has 1 main river and 2 feeder streams, and I live on a 5 acre stretch on a main river here in SC with a 3' waterfall at the upstream edge of my property, then is spotted with boulders for 2/3's of the length of my land then about 30 yards before my land ends there is a sudden 10' hole in the river bottom (which averages 2-4 feet deep in both directions for as far as I have gone) that covers 2/3-3/4 of the 30-40 yard wide river. So if there is gold there, there is a high chance it'll be in my section of river.....

So you all can see why I need this help ASAP so I can get in the water and start moving dirt like yesterday!

And thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me! If I can ever do the same, don't hesitate to ask.....

Hi Derek,

The first thing I would do is just replace the moss and test run it. 

If you like the way it performs, keep it that way.

That's cheap and quick. You can do loss testing once you get it running if you have some extra hands around.

Doc 

So first thing is to just get some new basic MM and replace the old stuff with it? What about the big area (about 20%) at the beginning of the box that doesn't have any matting or anything? Should I put like V-Rib matting, or Vortex, or MM, or just keep it bare like it is right now?

We run 1/4" perf metal about 1" over fully cut down RiverHog mat. 

It really depends on the sluice, and how the flare enters the sluice. 

i.e. Is it level with the sluice or is there a drop off. 

If you click this link, the video should start at a point where we are dredging. 

You'll see the upper portion. 

http://youtu.be/kap1ajJjYWM?t=11m19s

Since my last post in April on this subject, I have actually used and love the Gold Hog mat. It has raised my recovery of fine gold and bigger gold by huge numbers. BUT.....i have yet to get rid of the miners moss. Maybe just stuck on the moss i guess. I run 3 pieces(18") of mat in the top half of my keene highbanker and the rest moss and either riffles or expanded metal, depending on where i am working. But as for the mat, i am now a believer.

I too really like the miners moss , I was using it in my grizzly on my high banker and it caught all of the fine gold before it ever made it to the riffle area , it does work much better than anything I have tried in the last 35 years. :rolleyes:

We sell a ton of moss every year as well, 1000's and 1000's of feet. 
It varies on the op and what people are capable of doing as well.
Commercial ops have to grasp the understanding and design of the matting too. 
They really need to divide their sluices as the mat really needs to be no wider than than 18". 
Some just can't grasp that concept. 
Also, a lot depends on your area and the ground you're running. 
We sell to 35 countries and you quickly realize that EVERY plant has variables you really need to study. 
A good example is below. 
Great guys from the U.S. running in Africa that REALLY know how to do extensive testing. 
(Over 200 controlled test over the past year.)

Here's what they passed along. 

Pretty good info. 

Their problem was very high viscosity. 

10330248_664932996894143_448336251404305