Guest ERNEST F

Best matting riffle combination for fine gold

Guest ERNEST F

I have done a lot of research into different combinations.  It seems to me that with Miner's Moss you get a lot of blond sands that fill up the pours.   Carpet gives you less blond sands but does it catch the gold?

I have purchased some speciality highly profiled rubber mat that is surpose to catch and hole fine gold.  It seems to work on the small quantity of concentrates I ran.

Does anyone have any experience with other combinations or the above?

I like the miners moss - one could argue that the pore space gives you loads of room to store heavy concentrates. Blonde sands work their way out as you use the sluice. The various new rubber matts work fine too. The vortex and nearly all the other special "new" mattings are specialized conveyor belt materials, and are not made with gold gravel processing in mind. I dont think there is a clear answer where one product is great and the others stink. Miners moss has been tested over and over and proven to work. The others probably give very similar performance. Carpet was tested against Miners Moss and shown to not catch gold as well because it does not give the fine gold a place to "hide" out of the water flow, so fine gold works its way down and out of the sluice. Both miners moss and the various new mattings do give space down in the matt structure to hide the gold.

Guest gilaoro

I beg to differ on this subject to a certain extent just from experience. The old green grass carpet when used with enough sluice length and proper slope and water flow is at least as efficient as miners moss. Tested on large I guess you would call them high bankers made from old gravel truck beds with very long sluices the old green carpet out preformed miners moss. This was a very specialized application and the material contained lots of clay and large rocks. The extra long sluice let the blond sand clear out and retained the gold , there was some rubber matting also at the head of the sluice and under some of the carpet. The miners moss eventually clogged and started missing fine gold after running a few yards. I wish I could post pictures but I lost most of my 1000,s of pictures in a fire last year.

Maybe ~LARGO~ will sign up and post some pictures of this unique setup.

I guess I should define what I mean by "carpet" - I meant the old indoor / outdoor matted fiber carpet that was used in old sluice boxes and dredges. Gilaro - I know you are old enough to remember these. I would not use that carpet material over miners moss or the newer matt materials. "Astro-turf" type materials with the blades of plastic grass is good material and I would agree it would work fine in the right type of application. I just wasn't thinking of the astro-turf type stuff as being "carpet". 

Guest gilaoro

Yep, I am Old! That old green grass carpet is gone, its all made in China now, the old stuff was made in the USA was tougher than the stuff you get now, I believe it was a 3M product. Guess that goes for almost everything now. The mobile home we now live in has a "Florida Room" with the old stuff in it that was installed in 1974 and its as good as new! However I haven't risked the wife's ire (its her sewing room) yet to remove enough for a sluice, "No guts no bruises ".

I bought some really cheap stuff last spring to lay out in front of my travel trailer when we camp. After a few months of the trailer parked in one place we took it up when the weather started to turn cold last fall. I think a bout half the little grass "blades" had fallen off. No question the old stuff was better.

Nah, you're not old, you are experienced!

Guest chickenminer

I've tried a bunch of the new whizz bang matting in my commerical operation. Always end up with the heavy nomad matting going back in the box.

Used the astro turf for several years. It is a good mat, but in my situation it packed heavier than nomad, was harder to clean and it deteriorates far

quicker than nomad.

Seems to me this needs to be broken down into areas. Matting for running cons in a clean-up sluice is far different than matting needed in a sluice running

unclassified bank run material. Many factors come into play when trying to find the "perfect" matting.

So it seems to me.

And no, I'm not stuck in the past or opposed to "new and improved" designs. Heck, I no longer use burlap and cocoa matting!

Come to think of it .... maybe they should be revisited.

Over the years I have run a lot of different matting or carpet. Each type holds the heavy sediments in its own way, and cleans up in its own way. I currently use five different types in my box (24"x12').  A heavy indoor/outdoor is the first as it is easy to read, you can look at it and see gold. I have tried the vortex matting first, but is does not seem to hold as well as the carpet This is usually followed by a "castle" type entry mat, as this seems to hold heavy slates and gold and not much sands. Next comes either a miners moss or older astro turf depending on what material I am running. This is followed by Vortex or indoor/outdoor again to get a read on how much gold is showing that far down. The rest of the sluice is mostly alternating pieces of miners moss and "castle" matting. I always leave a small gap between the first couple mats and there is always fine gold lining up there. I don't worry about it working its way down the box.

The real key is different materials hold and clean differently. I'll change up my layout and spacing depending on what material is running through the sluice. Try different things and see what works for you.

P.S. I retried a piece of cocoa matting towards the end of my sluice, I just wasn't sure if it was catching fines, or they were leftover from the last time I used it  -_-

Chris, the "castle" entry mat is a common mat found at hardware stores. It is a series of about 1/2 inch circles with a number of fingers coming out of the circumference of the circle, similar to the crenelated parapet on a castle.

Being an entry mat, it passes the durability test. I still have some that I was using in the 70's (and like the Astro Turf, I like the old stuff better). It cleans up in one shake unless you are working a lot of clay, then a thin fine silt does tend to build up in the bottom. Both those attributes are just about necessary for any sluice matting, but what I really like is it seems to hold just the rite size of material in each of those little parapets to grab and hold gold without getting clogged. Carpet, miners moss, and Astro Turf catch and hold by having voids that hold gold. The "castle" mats rely on the material the parapets catch to provide the voids to catch and hold gold. Just another tool in the sluice box.

The original posters question had to do with clogging his miners moss, "castle" mat is one of the few things that always seems to be working, but I would not make it the only thing in my box. The thread also asked about matting/riffle combination, so I should mention that I am using 1 and 3/4 by 3/4 crescent expanded metal as my riffle. 

First... glad to see this forum opened up. :)

We will be advertising in the magazine and looking forward to helping when possible.

Now to the question...
This answer could go on forever.

A lot of your bedding / matting choice will depend on your configuration, equipment, water volume, sediment rates, etc.

If you have a long enough sluice system, you should consider exposing your slurry / gold to various surfaces, velocities, capture zones, etc. 

Many of the larger industrial operations now do this, or have done this for years.

Varying the exposure throughout the run, and treating it to several processes.

If you want to describe your system,I'll be happy make recommendations .

Doc

Doc, glad to see you here!

For those that do not know Doc, he is a straight shooter and will not steer you in the wrong direction.  He has done more evaluation on different mats than probably anyone out there.  Granted, he is biased towards his own products, but rightly so.  He will tell you the way it is, good or bad, about his products.  He won't talk down another manufacturer but will demonstrate to you so you can make your own INFORMED decisions.  An asset to our community for sure.

No, I don't sell his products...but I do use them!

Doc, glad to see you here!

For those that do not know Doc, he is a straight shooter and will not steer you in the wrong direction.  He has done more evaluation on different mats than probably anyone out there.  Granted, he is biased towards his own products, but rightly so.  He will tell you the way it is, good or bad, about his products.  He won't talk down another manufacturer but will demonstrate to you so you can make your own INFORMED decisions.  An asset to our community for sure.

No, I don't sell his products...but I do use them!

Biased??? 

How dare you. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words mike.

One thing I have built our business on is integrity. 

We turn down customers every day and send them towards a product that might work better for them, if it will. 

A happy customer tells 2 people... a disappointed one tells 20.

My friend i prospect with here in Elko just bought the new style matting and runs no carpet. I do like how it works but it is WAY HEAVY compared to my miners moss and exspanded metal. It works good but dont want to pack it very far.

Guest Lucky Joe

I use the heavy woven vinyl matting with an underlayer of deep v-ribbed matting in the CC690 power sluice that I manufacture. The vortex action over the riffles helps keep the matting clear of lighter materials by ejecting them back up into the slurry stream while the heavies migrate down through the matting and are trapped. I've incorporated this combination into the design since day one and haven't looked back. For me, the Clarkson studies on sluice design were the final word... not that something better may not come along, but in terms of a quantitative study, this is the best out there so far. Here's a link to one of the studies: The-Clarkson-Study-Fine-Gold-Recovery

I will never say there are not newer and better options - maybe there are. But if in doubt, use the Clarkson recommendations and you can't go too far wrong. It is solid information, and was considered so important by the State of Alaska in improving gold recovery (and therefore taxes) that all operators in the state were sent a copy.

Doc,

I just received your newest matting that you developed for dredges. I plan to retro-fit the 6" bridge plate in the top protion of the 3 stage Keene. Hope to get it installed next week!

I vote for miners moss.I dont mind that nomad packs up with a bit of unwanted material. I have a gold cube and and extra material is no problem what so ever. Nomad has worked great for me. I would suggest using a few different methods for catching gold. Maybe some "v" mat 1st then some carpet with a hunk of nomad on top.

You can also look at how the latest dredge boxes are being set up.They spend money and time to make sure their products work great.You can learn a lot form just looking at a new style Keene box. GL ma friend!

I, and many 100s a others full timers,have utilized theis great Veranda  or Aggregrate style carpet for over 20 years. Its been made by Shaw and others for many years. Unbacked is the secret. It it twice as thick as ridged carpets.And 10 X the recovery surface area also. I compare it to pinecones-hollow in the middle but bristly around,it traps micron gold like crazy and as unbacked the 100 minus filters down and is captured. Not like moss that packs like cement when the flow is interupted and as I always use modified hungarian riffles,you can start/stop without being required to clean out the box or lose half of what ya run next. Does not cement,crush as I've used the same pieces in a couple a units for over 20 years and not had to replace ever after many 10s a 1,000 of hours of abuse. Great UV protection as indoor outdoor style carpet. CHEAP too. John

post-14636-0-53204500-1365007847_thumb.jpg

Hey John. Thanks for the nice picture but I can't seem to find anything that looks like that on Shaw's web page (will not post a link

to Shaw as I don't want to violate posting rules). Not sure if it has a numerical part number or not(?) Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Beav

The shaw veranda is the closest to the original carpet. It was used on boats and hotels walkways outdoors.They were building a Holiday Inn in torrance and they had leftover chunks I bought for beer. Also used up here on houseboats but the boat maker went out of business. Unbacked and unglued for righteous wicking. Shaw Veranda H54163. Nuttn' finer-John

Sure is hard to beat some good ol miners moss, we experimented last year with several name brand rubber mattings in our proline 5 inch. After many hours of dredging we ended up putting the 3m moss back in the box.

John Oats,

I will have to agree, that carpet is a great value!

Justin.

The great thing about prospecting and mining is that you keep learning no matter how old you get.

:)

Play around and experiment as each area is different and each piece of equipment is different. 

We get a LOT of good feed back from customers playing and testing.

We have a commercial milling op running our UR mat BACKWARDS....

They crush very fine, and have a bunch of heavy black sand.

They found that running it backwards works for them, as if hyper-fluidizes the mat.

We did an initial test with it that way and were pretty pleased.

Running almost all black sand. We're now testing it for black beach sands which are tough.

Here's a photo of the gold.

It ran about 97% which is not bad for the first run.

Still have to play with settings.

892850_486845734702871_1221595128_o.jpg