Eric N

Metal Detector Theory

What a waste of time it was reading this thread.

Just like the time and money I spent on electronic engineering classes back around 1970.

My thought was to design and build better metal detectors than what was available at that time.

Didn't happen.

The only things that concerns most folks that purchase metal detectors are:

"Will it find the good stuff?"

"Will it function as advertised?"

And since this is the Metal Detecting for Gold forum, I would guess that tips and ideas to help others find more gold would be more of an interest than how the electronics work. Showing finds and telling stories of the hunt is nice and shows that there still is stuff out there to be found. Research tips to finding places to hunt, etc. would of great benefit to some folks.

Just my 2 cents!

I have watched inexperienced prospectors swinging a metal detector too high above the ground. Those that are experienced would wonder why someone would not keep the coil close to the ground. This is one reason why understanding theory is important.

- Geowizard

would wonder why someone would not keep the coil close to the ground

Those who actually do know about metal detecting and have experience finding gold with them, know when not to keep the coil close to the ground and when it is of benefit to keep the coil elevated.