Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach (Inactive)

Going Detecting All Summer Long!

I call in a few times a week on a Motorola sat phone.

Steve,

Back in April, I asked about your satellite phone because I wanted to get one to talk w/wifey while in the mountains...to let her know I am ok.  Can you provide me with more details?  What is your service provider, your satellite network, are you satisfied with the service, etc.?

Reason I ask is I bought from SatellitePhoneStore.com a IsatPhone Pro Complete Kit that uses the Inmarsat satellite network. I am extremely unhappy about the entire package. The .com business is a customer no-service kind of affair. The voicemail service never has worked at all. The connection breaks up and I am always having to ask wifey to "repeat what you just said", even though I am standing in the middle of a meadow with unobstructed view of the sky.  Etc. 

Any more details would be enormously helpful.  Thanks.

Jim

Steve is out in remote Alaska at the moment and not checking the forums, except perhaps once in a great while as he comes back to move from one location to another.

I have used Steve's Sat phone, and I can tell you its an iridium, roughly 5 years old, and that yes, sometimes you have to continually repeat things and sometimes even redial, even though the sky is clear and unobstructed. Its not like a cell phone when you have full signal bars - maybe more like a cell phone with almost no signal bars that cuts in and out. I have another friend with a different sat phone and he experiences a similar situation. Wish I could be of more help, but Steve wont really be back "on the grid" as a daily thing for nearly 2 months.  As the thread says - he's out detecting all summer long.

"I have used Steve's Sat phone, and I can tell you its an iridium, roughly 5 years old, and that yes, sometimes you have to continually repeat things and sometimes even redial, even though the sky is clear and unobstructed. Its not like a cell phone when you have full signal bars - maybe more like a cell phone with almost no signal bars that cuts in and out. I have another friend with a different sat phone and he experiences a similar situation. Wish I could be of more help, but Steve wont really be back "on the grid" as a daily thing for nearly 2 months.  As the thread says - he's out detecting all summer long."

Chris,

You have been an enormous help to me.  Your user experience feedback is exactly what have been hoping to obtain:  "more like a cell phone with almost no signal bars that cuts in and out",  this is worth more than gold. :)   I wish I had known this a month ago, but at least I know it now.  Again, thanks kilos.

Jim

Jim,

For what it's worth ... I have used both Iridium and Globalstar satellite phones. My experience was the Iridium network was far

superior to Globalstar here in Alaska.

For you further south, Globalstar may work very well.

Jim,

For what it's worth ... I have used both Iridium and Globalstar satellite phones. My experience was the Iridium network was far

superior to Globalstar here in Alaska.

For you further south, Globalstar may work very well.

Thanks for the headsup about Globalstar.  I have a lead on renting an Iridium for a month, and it seems like a good way for me to gain experience with a more reputable firm than SatellitePhoneStore.com.

-Jim

I talked with Steve yesterday (he had come back to Anchorage to take care of some business) and he said he was doing well and had indeed found some gold. 

Hope Steve will find time to update us on his prospecting thus far this summer.  Did he make it up to the Forty-Mile? 

Planning a trip up that way in a couple of weeks myself.

Neal